Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Canada!  (Read 2523 times)

Offline gees_bees

• New Bee
Hello from Canada!
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:11:04 pm »
Hi! I'm a Canadian new-bee and I call myself an "accidental beekeeper."  I'm definitely feeling jealous of you guys in the south working away with your bees...

My husband and I started keeping bees 2 summers ago when a swarm set up shop in one of the exterior walls of my house.  Knowing nothing about bees at the time, my husband put on his rubber rain suit, wrapped a sheet around his face, put on a hat and went to work, while I passed him smoking sticks...it was pretty ridiculous but we got it done (glad I have a video).  At the time, we set the bees up in a old cabinet and later transferred them to a brood box. I was delighted when they overwintered.  Now, I'm obsessed.

Since then we've had 3 swarms arrive at the same spot on the house. I like to think that the bees chose us.  Everything was going great - the bees were doing great! But then, in the fall, a bear destroyed everything and we lost them all...It was a really really awful sight and a very sad day. 

I'm looking forward to starting again with two nucs and an electric fence in the spring.  I'm taking a course and just found this forum to help me learn.

And ofcourse, I'm hoping for another swarm...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Hello from Canada!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:11:34 pm »
Wow, what a great story! Welcome to the forum!

I know how bad a bear attack can make you feel, just lost 48 hives to one myself. Hopefully you'll get more swarms again this year!

Can't wait to see the video :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 02:32:46 pm »
Hello Gees_Bees and welcome! Just so you're not lonely I greet you as an experienced forum member (joined yesterday) in Ontario. Yes, the snow is blowing sideways here too. Luckily, very few bears down this way. Would love to see the video!
Dennis in Kitchener

Offline gees_bees

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:00:34 pm »
Thanks for the welcome!  I'll check with the star of the show first (well the bees were the true stars!)  How would I post it?  Would I need to post it to youtube first?

Offline gees_bees

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »
Wow, what a great story! Welcome to the forum!

I know how bad a bear attack can make you feel, just lost 48 hives to one myself. Hopefully you'll get more swarms again this year!

Can't wait to see the video :)

Scott

48 hives! - that's really awful.  I'm so sorry!  thx for the welcome!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:11:59 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Gees_Bees.  Sorry to hear of your misfortune with the bear.  Last years there was one sighted about eight mile from me, don't have any real close.  Maybe you will get another swarm come to you this year.  Good luck

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 03:21:09 pm »
Welcome to the bee forum. Enjoy!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 03:19:52 am »
Definitely the best start-up story I've ever heard. Sorry about the bear.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 09:47:28 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:40 pm »
Welcome!
Tim

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:53:46 pm »
Hey and Welcome.

It is I who is jealous of you. Sooo many swarms. You are lucky.  Well mostly.  :) Dang Bear. :(

Good luck and hope to see a lot of you on here.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."