Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mega Bee Feeder Video  (Read 10328 times)

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
Mega Bee Feeder Video
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:01:04 pm »
I went to my hives, one with a feeder that's been going dry in about a day.  Suddenly went dry in hours.  We have had no rain for weeks now, and the grass is dying.  I took the feeder off and moved it off the hive, only to have the bees stuff themselves in the cavity and either drown or suffocate.  I took the jar off to see hundreds of dead bees packed in that contraption.

Open feeding seemed the only option.  I found a bucket with a tight fitting lid, found a plan on the Interwebs, and drilled holes along the lip at the top of the bucket.  The lifting ring was set completely to the point where the lid joined, so I had to modify it some.

As you may imagine, this feeder is wildly successful.  They're going through a gallon or 1:1 in several hours.  I also seem to be feeding the wasps and sweat bees.

http://allthemfiles.horizon-host.com/video/megabeefeeder.swf

Edit:  Oh I see!  I said, "found a plan on the Interwebs."  Sorry!  There were no drawn plans, there was a plan (I am now grinding at semantics.).  The author at the page I give below writes a paragraph telling how he modifies a 5 gallon bucket to make feeders for his pollination business.

http://www.mottbeefarms.com/wordpress/?p=198
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:26:54 pm by CapnChkn »
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: Mega Bee Feeder Video
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 04:18:29 pm »
So are you feeding 1:1 in this, or mega bee?

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:34:30 pm »
HO-Ho!

Um...  I didn't know there was a Megabee.  Nope, I've just been mixing sugar and water.  No HBH, no flavoring, no bee magic of any kind except to use a sandwich bag, piece of cloth, and a drop of Lemon grass oil to get them to come to it in the first place.

I must now callit the MONDO bee feeder and liposuction.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:12:55 am »
How about a link to the plans?

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:17:36 am »
There really aren't any plans.  It's like a giant mason jar.  Find a bucket with a tight fitting lid.  Fill it with water and turn it upside down.  Let it set for a while to see if it will leak.  Place a 1/32" (1 mm) drill bit in your drill motor and drill a hole every so often around the lip of the bucket.  I made them about 1/2 (13 mm) inch or less.  Make sure the closed lid doesn't block the holes.

You will probably want to keep the rain and sun off it, the rain will drown the bees who got too excited, the sun will warm the feed until the air pushes it out the holes.  I find they fight a little, and there was about a dozen dead bees on that bottom board I'd put the feeder on, but I couldn't tell you if it was because of fighting, overeating, the heat, or they had overworked themselves.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:34:28 am by CapnChkn »

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 01:02:43 pm »
well how about a pic of this magical feeder?
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 01:20:32 pm »
There's a video Joe!  You can see it in all it's glory!  If it's not running, right click and make sure the "play" option is checked.

http://allthemfiles.horizon-host.com/video/megabeefeeder.swf

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 02:08:19 pm »
sorry man it was slow to open. I like that, but unfortunetly my yard is in my horse pasture. That would be too tempting for my monsters. Bit it makes me think. Do you have a link where you found the plans?

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 02:25:25 pm »
I think what we are asking for is pic of where you drill the holes ? In the bucket rim or the lid ?

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »
that's what I meant.  :-X  actually I just bought a paint bucket to makes a collins type feeder to put on my hive top to make sure they have winter stores.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 12:23:07 am »
Like I said above, on the side, around the lip where the bees in the video are going.  There are no plans.  Here's the guy who published it.

http://www.mottbeefarms.com/wordpress/?p=198

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 01:11:53 am »
that makes more sense  :)

anything