Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 9 Frame spacers....  (Read 2640 times)

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
9 Frame spacers....
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:37:00 pm »
Has anyone tried these?  I am wondering if they cause they girls to make too much burr?  I bought them after looking at the 8 frame spacers but I knew those would be too much I would hope they wouldnt make them if it was a problem.. But I have to ask being a nu-bee.  Thanks all
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: 9 Frame spacers....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:42:41 pm »
Typically 9 frames in a 10 frame box is for supers only. The extra spacing is to get the bees to draw extra deep cells so that you can get more honey per frame.  Since the broodnest is as deep as it need to be the spacer will serve no useful purpose in the brood boxes and as they are much more likely to draw burr/brace comb and in general make a mess of things.  Even when using 9 frames in a super you should install all 10 frames initially and when they are drawn out remove one and use the space to set the rest.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:02:13 pm »
Has anyone tried these?  I am wondering if they cause they girls to make too much burr?  I bought them after looking at the 8 frame spacers but I knew those would be too much I would hope they wouldnt make them if it was a problem.. But I have to ask being a nu-bee.  Thanks all

You need to start with ten frames.  Once you have drawn comb you can switch to nine.  They will draw the comb out further which makes uncapping easier and some say gives you more honey in a box.  I did not like the spacer at first because I thought it left too much space on the sides between frames and box but it doesnt.  I really like it now.  I rum 9 frames in my brood and honey boxes. 
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:53 am »
Bee-nuts, and Fermented hiker,

Thanks so much this is exactly the scoop I was looking for.  I will do exactly that... let them draw it out then install.  Thanks
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:27:13 pm »
I will do exactly that... let them draw it out then install. 
You can also skip the spacers, just eyeball it, put the frames about a finger-width apart.