Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A possible approach for comb-honey?  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
A possible approach for comb-honey?
« on: December 19, 2015, 03:44:48 am »
A few weeks ago, I had a stack of frames to wire up and embed with foundation - I HATE wiring frames.

I happened to see a set up a FB friend uses for TB - basically he inserts a bamboo kebab skewer in the centre of the top bar to provide reinforcement to the comb.

As a TB is basically a frame without side or bottom bars, I thought I'd try to make a foundation-less comb in a similar way; I was hoping that by inserting skewers from top to bottom and just fitting 3/4" or so of foundation to the top and placing between already drawn frames, that the bees would make their own comb around the skewers.

The skewers are simply inserted into holes drilled through the top and bottom bars, glued into place and the protruding ends trimmed off with a knife, so it's dead easy.

Well, it didn't work all that well - the bees built off the foundation OK but studiously avoided the skewers, so if anything, it's even weaker than before but no worries, I'll keep the frame for the brood box only (I'm using all-deeps).

However, all wasn't lost - the same FB friend upon seeing my failure remarked that this would be a really good way of making comb for sale as comb honey as it looks more natural and only needs cutting out from the top - so less messy too.

I'm no expert on comb honey, so I don't know but I thought I'd share the idea anyway.

This photo was taken after a week, I looked again 2 weeks ago and they'd finished the combs just a little short of the lower bar of the frame.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:54:42 am by Richard M »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: A possible approach for comb-honey?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:35:18 am »
That is surprising.
My bet is that by the time that they have capped the honey in this comb, it will bee built across the sticks. Look at the top right side where they have already started to build across it.
Keep us posted.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:53:37 am »
That is surprising.
My bet is that by the time that they have capped the honey in this comb, it will bee built across the sticks. Look at the top right side where they have already started to build across it.
Keep us posted.
Jim

Yeah, aye, well, mmmm -  I dunno about that; I looked again a couple of weeks after the photo was taken and they still hadn't joined it up cross-ways, although I hope they have as it will save the hassle of wiring in the future.

I, or rather "we", (post anaphylaxis crisis), will be having a look in there around about New Years Day, so I'll maybe have more to tell then. It looked like drone comb too - huge cells; it was in the centre of the bottom box, so I doubt there'll be any honey in it either.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:06:13 am by Richard M »

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 11:58:44 pm »
Richard, when I first started I built a TBH, and first bees were a cut out.  I then built sides and a bottom to fit in the  TBH.  This year I had some customers that wanted comb honey. So I took some new comb from the TBH cut it to fit in the jars.  I also have some shallow foundationless frames that I use some times.  I have a good many foundationless frames throughout my hives.  If you take it easy on the first extraction, and the comb is attached fairly well you can extract them.  By the second time they are extracted work just as good as a foundation frame.

Good luck to you and your bees

Joe D