Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: preformed plastic comb  (Read 5825 times)

Anonymous

preformed plastic comb
« on: April 21, 2005, 08:37:04 am »
I need some information on preformed plastic comb.  I saw it discussed here about a year ago but I can't find the thread.  One of the suppliers, if not the only supplier, is/was a member of the forum and had them for sale.  Can anyone tell me where to find the contact information or online catalog?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
preformed plastic comb
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 09:03:37 am »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline firetool

• House Bee
preformed plastic comb
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 09:09:09 am »
are yo needing fully drawn out comb if so look at these guyies.
http://www.honeysupercell.com/   Try this and see it this helps you any.

Brian

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
preformed plastic comb
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 09:37:42 am »
PermaComb has been on the market at least since the late 70's (I got information from John Seets back then).  It only comes in medium and is available now.  It has been advertised in ABJ and Bee Culture since the late 70's.  Look in any of them.

The SuperCell fully drawn comb will only come in deeps and, last I heard, was still not available yet.

The cell size on the PermaComb (if you allow for the thicker walls) is the equivelant of 5.1mm.  The cell size of the SuperCell remains to be seen, since none is on the market, but they are saying 4.9mm.  Originally they were saying 5.0mm.

I have over a thousand of the PermaComb.  I heat it and dip it in wax to get 4.95mm equivelant cells.  I love it.

Whenever I want drawn comb I have the PermaComb.  Whenever I want the bees to draw comb, I use foundationless frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline firetool

• House Bee
preformed plastic comb
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 07:40:17 pm »
Michael bush Thank yo for the post I found the informayion usefull to.

Thanks

Brian

Anonymous

Permacomb
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 01:38:28 pm »
Permacomb is the name of the product I was looking to find.  Thanks to all for the info and the links.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
perma comb
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 07:48:54 pm »
Hi Mr. Bush
How do you heat up the perma comb and how do you put the bees wax on ?
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
preformed plastic comb
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 08:59:21 pm »
It's messy and it's complicated but it really works well.

I did a lot of trial and error and found I had to heat the PermaComb enough for the wax to run off in order for the wax to not clump up in the cells.  So I heat the PermaComb in a gas oven to 200 degrees (with a thermometer in the oven to make sure) and then dip it in 212 degree beeswax until all the cells are filled.  Then I let it drain and then shake it out and then I hit it (upside down of course) to knock the rest of the wax off and then I stack it upside down to let it drain some more.

It will splatter and get all over you and the area.  I do NOT recommend doing this in your kitchen if you are married and wish to remain so. :)

I have an outdoor oven and a table set up outside for doing this.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything