Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello From Afghanistan  (Read 3952 times)

Offline bbrowncods

• New Bee
Hello From Afghanistan
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:38:15 am »
Names Brad.  I go by BB (my initials).  You can probably tell what my last name is from my forum name.  The "CODS" is an acronym.

I really live in Norfolk, VA. but will be here until February.

I have wanted to have an apiary since I was a teen when my Dad and I talked about it.  We never did.  I am to the point now where I am looking into it.  My wife thinks it is going to be a burden.  So any info on convincing the spouse would be appreciated.

I am not sure with me getting back in February if I will be able to set up a hive or two in time for the first nectar flow.  I would hate to order the bees and equipment and not be there in time for the delivery.  It is just something I am going to have to look at.

I really like forums where you can come to learn.  So I will probably lurk around and read, and not ask too many questions.  I have basic ideas of what I want but still learning and open to ideas.

Thanks for the opportunity to come to your community.  I like the bylaws.  Great not having ads!

Thanks!
BB
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:18:13 am by bbrowncods »

Offline Richard

• New Bee
Re: Hello From Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:14:41 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Ask away!  There are a lot of experienced beekeepers here who share their knowledge and experience.  My wife has gotten a lot more interested in it since I stared.  They started pulling her in from day one.  Maybe you’ll find someone here who’s close to home to help get you started and be there when you can’t be.

Thank you for serving our country!

Richard

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:22 am »
welcome to the site. 

of all the hobbies you could pick, this one is probably the least labor intensive.  now, if you get more than a few hives, that could change  :evil:

after the initial investment, which doesn't have to be huge, your costs are usually pretty low.  you can spend as much or as little time messing with them and only need to stay on top of a few critical things. 

i find them relaxing.  sort of like an outdoor aquarium...with bees...instead of fish...and wax...instead of...oh well.........  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:50:48 am »
Welcome to the site!

Yes, ask away! That's how I learn by reading other beeks questions and the answers that they are given.

My wife is involved in "our beekeeping hobby". I say "our hobby" now, it used to be just "my" hobby.

Yes, Thanks for serving our country! It's hard to believe that you are over there right now. Things have really changed since 1968. When I was in Nam we couldn't even make a phone call home.

Larry

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 01:14:42 pm »
Thanks for serving. Ask all the questions you want. We like answering. If you are ordering bees, i don't think you could get them before March. Definitely need to order soon. Try to find a company close to home. You really do not want a Queen that was raised in Fl if you are up north. Their seasonal timing is all wrong. You really don't care where the bees come from, just the Q.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bbrowncods

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  I am thinking my wife will warm up to the idea.  When our son was moving to TX he had to get rid of his three turtles.  He was going to put them back in the pond they came from but she wouldn't hear of it.  I now have turtles!  How much worse could bees be?  At least they are outside.

My Dad was in the Nam and I remember the once a month "call" where I had to say "over"!

I will start asking questions when I feel I won't irritate with totally nube ones like "What type of hive should I get?"  :?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 03:07:21 pm »
you won't irritate, and it's better to start asking as the questions come to you.  it's not to complicated, but it can seem so from all that is written.  we will be glad to help you sift it out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 03:10:05 pm »

My Dad was in the Nam and I remember the once a month "call" where I had to say "over"!

He must have been an officer or worked in head quarters. Nobody ever offered me a phone call. I'm glad things are better for you as far as the communication with your family and the world goes.  :th_thumbsupup:

Larry

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 06:50:56 pm »
Grunts in Nam could occaisionally if they befriended some REMF get thru on Mars phone to radio to phone.  Thankyou for your service and watch your back.  An Aviary is where you keep birds but.  Bees will fly right thru the wire!   I would like to send your kids little honey bears for Christmas and you to if you PM me.   If I can be of any assistance, ask anytime sir. 

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 08:51:02 pm »
welcome to the forum. from one military brat to another. My dad was special ops in WW ll,Korea.and Nam. my brother was special ops in Korea,Nam (MIA 6 months,POW 2 months), Grenada and so on till 9/11. Both sons one after 9/11 one in Iraq for the start and 2ND tour. Other son special ops in south east Asia till Kim died  :-D. enjoy the site have fun with the bees and check with the locals they can help and may be able to tend the bees when you can't.

John.

By the way tell the grunts at Fort Eustis to suck it up. Hup.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:40:18 pm by divemaster1963 »

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:12:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum,BB. I was also in nam in the Navy.  I have a son in law was stationed at Norfolk until a little over a year ago, now their in Pensacola.  Good luck to you.  Beek is additive.

Joe

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 11:13:57 pm »
First and most important Thank you for your service! Bees have less sting than RPG's. :)

As far as getting your wife interested give her a bit of room. Mine was a bit hesitant at first, now she is vary interested in learning about bees and was excited to see and taste the liquid gold from our 1st. harvest.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline bbrowncods

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 11:16:22 am »
Kathy - Thanks for the offer.  I saw your post count! WOW.  I am sure you have helped plenty!

Larry - You are right he was an Officer, but more importantly he was Signal Corp!  :-D

Vance - I'll take you up on the Bear!

Since everyone is on a First name basis,

Thanks!
Brad