Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Naval Jelly for removing extractor basket rust in a really bad location?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
I'm rebuilding a 20 frame extractor from Dadant that was built in '79. It has 5 collars that the stainless steel basket is welded to, 2 high 3 low and they are tightened on a stainless steel shaft with Allen screws. Here's the weird part, they appear to be regular steel. They rusted such that I stripped one of the bottom allens so I can't get it off. I can't drill it out as it's too close the the basket and I can't get anything in there.

I've got the Camcote to seal it once I get it clean but how do I get it clean? I'm considering sand blasting it but that will only get the exposed areas whereas Naval Jelly might work better for my challenges. I'd really appreciate any feedback from anyone with any experience in this arena.

Thanks in advance.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline beetalkin

• New Bee
Re: Naval Jelly for removing extractor basket rust in a really bad location?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:58:38 pm »
you might try a 90 degree drill adapter frm harbor freight with a stubby drillbit. or maybe a cutting torch & blow the setscrew out of the collar.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:37:03 pm »
  reverse electrolysis--heres a link-- :lol:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,19714.0.html     :) RDY-B

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:19 pm »
My first choice is to heat it with a torch.  Expand the collar so it will loosen up and maybe you can back off the set screw.  My next choice it to cut the collar with an abrasive wheel.  A pic is worth a thousand words on what we are dealing with here.  A lot depends on what you are capable of doing
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:27:14 pm by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:18:47 pm »
If you can get a dremel tool in there, you can slot the screw and use a screwdriver to get it out. If you just want the rust out, do as rdy-b said. I clean my cast iron pots that way. It removes all rust and leaves them like new.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*