Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Checking for Mites  (Read 3996 times)

Offline sadvic

• New Bee
Checking for Mites
« on: September 10, 2007, 05:03:05 pm »
How are some ways that I can check my hives for mites. What is this sticky board?

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Checking for Mites
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:17:13 pm »
You can use a sheet of contact paper or anything sticky. Slide it in under the SBB and count the mites that are stuck to it after 3 days (to get an average of daily drop). Some people use the plastic or cardboard tray that comes with the SBB and spray it with Pam or Mazola cooking spray.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:49:16 am »
Another quick check is to pull open some capped drone brood and look for mites.   If you pull open 10 or so,  you'll get a pretty good idea of the mite population.  If you think there is an issue,  then do a more time consuming (and accurate) test.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline sadvic

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 11:50:39 am »
Thank you Moonshoe, MicBush and Robo for the advice on checking for mites.
I think I am going to like this site.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:16:27 pm »
I like it a lot, myself. :)
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 10:20:00 pm »
Do you count every mite you see regardless of its size and color?  It seems someone once posted that you only really need to count the large, darker mites as these are the females or something.  I suppose this is just wishful thinking to get my own mite counts down.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 12:25:11 am »
twb.  Do some research.  "Google" mites.  When you do, you will see that you do not count all the mites.  You want to count the mature female mites.  But you must do some research.  There is so much advantage to going onto sites on the internet.  Check it out, look and learn.  This is your job to become a great beekeeper, and you will, but you must read, learn, important stuff.  Have the best and wonderful day, on our great earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 09:10:45 pm »
Thanks, Cindi.  Good idea.  I will do it.  I am here to learn.  I tell people I wish to learn(about bees) as much as I can as fast as I can.  Sometimes I think to myself with a sigh, "but not all by personal experience".  I spoke with an old man at a beek conference and he told me that he, after many years of beekeeping, is still learning.  You gotta love that about bees.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 12:23:33 pm »
TWB.  That ol' beekeeper is 100% bang on with what he said about being an old time beekeeper and still learning.

My experience.  Began in April 2005 with two levels of beekeeping, one right after the other.  As many little seminars that I could attend, taking a 5 day course at our local university (gained a "Beemasters Certificate"), but so what.  I am not even close to becoming a beemaster, the certificate just tells me so, heeee, heeee  :) ;) :).  Reading books and reading more books, sitting for 2 years with pen and paper by my side, jotting down every extra important bit of information, typing all that important information into a great document for my perusal, and reading some more.  Joining this fantastic forum to ask questions and get fantastic answers.  Getting my packages in April of 2005 and having hands on experience ever since that time. 

This is my "experience" in a nutshell.  Take your time, all good things take time, we are all familiar with that ol' expression, and I am the biggest believer of that in itself!!!!!

I feel that I am still only on the very tip of that iceberg, and know that I will be learning for another _________ years, that number is completely unknown  ;) :) :) :)  So......you have lots of work ahead of you, if you can call it work.  Why don't we term this not work, but heading off into a future of wonderful feelings and experiences with your girls (and the guys are there too, but not as many numbers, oh dear).  Love this new adventure that you have embarked upon, once you had that taste of the lifestyle of the honeybee, I think it is very hard to turn back  :) :) :)  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, gotta love this life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything