Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Left the observation window open yesterday on the TBH.......  (Read 4242 times)

Offline dsj21

• New Bee
I have 1 Langstroth and 1 TBH. On the TBH I had the carpenter install a small plexiglass window with a wooden sliding cover over it. Always a thrill to look in and see them and show them to others. But after inspection yesterday I looked from my house back to the hives(about 100yds.) and saw that I had failed to slide the cover back closed. I was tired and just said to myself, Ahh, it won't hurt nothing. Well when I got home from church today I looked over at the hives and nearly had the big one. I'll try here to post a picture of it. This is my first attempt at this so be patient.

Being a new beekeeper and never having personally observed a swarm( or bearding), I wasn't sure it was from leaving the window open. But apparently they were just disoriented some way by either letting light in or being able to see there sisters as they were coming in for a landing. But for some reason they wouldn't go inside.
  After hastily suiting up, I shut the window.  I gently scraped up as many as I could and shook them back into the hive. It must have worked as it's been business as usual the rest of the day.
  Please let me know if I stumbled on to the correct way to post a picture, where someone besides me can see it. I'd like to share a picture more often. I can't tell you how much this new beekeeper has been helped by the pics many of you have posted. Hopefully my next picture will be of  something more intelligent on my part  time.
  Sorry, but one last request. The last time I posted, the post didn't "wrap" I think you call it when it came to the edge of the window. The kind of post where you have to take and slide your bottom scroll bar back and forth for each line you read. I've noticed this on some other peoples posts. Is it something that just happens sometimes on this forum or is it something I'm doing or not doing. Although I spend a lot of time on various forums, I don't post much, so I'm a little dumb on the how to's.
Truly great people will make you believe you can be great also.       Mark Twain

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Left the observation window open yesterday on the TBH.......
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 05:00:07 am »
The picture looks fine!

Good story too!

Adam

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 08:13:46 am »
The picture came out fine on this end.....quite a story.  Those top bar hives seem pretty neat.  Id like to build one next year depending on how they overwinter in the north.  One little trick I do, on seeing things full screen, is on your desktop screen when you first turn the computer on, and is all warmed up ready to go, right click on the screen, and choose
1. Properties
2. Settings
3. "resize" your screen bigger!!!

That might help you see big screens and pictures. :lol:
Thats for Windows ME, different OS's may vary.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 01:49:14 pm »
I've noticed it too where some posts don't wrap. I think usually it's because the person has a large picture to share, so it just takes up more space. Then the whole post is widened, and each post after that follows along being wider.

Great picture by the way...... and what a learning experience. :)

Beth

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 02:34:38 pm »
Beth is correct.  If there is a large picture or long URL in the post,  the width of all the posts are widend to that larger size.

This is not a real URL, but it will demonstrate the issue.
http://www.reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyLoooooooooonnnnnngURL
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything