Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetle (SHB)  (Read 6729 times)

Offline BAH

• House Bee
Small Hive Beetle (SHB)
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:00:11 pm »
I was inspecting my hives (2). I found 1 in each hive, killed them  :evil:. I decided it was time to learn as much as possible so I found this video and thought I would share it. I will also say that researching this topic I found that an oil trap without a ledge is best. I haven't proved this but will be building my oil trap soon so I can  :police: these pests!
-BAH-

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Small Hive Beetle (SHB)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:11:35 pm »
If you don't learn about them on your own, they will eventually teach you.......the hard way.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:04:54 pm by asprince »
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 03:22:54 pm »
Couldn't agree more. I found a few in my new hives  :'(. A little displeased but I will check in a few days to see if I need to start a preemptive attack :evil:.

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:01:46 pm »
SBB's with oil trays do work well, so does treating the soil around your hives with DE & lime. Helps me.
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:33:19 pm »
I just made a statement on another entry about the small hive beetle. So I ended up goggling him. It said they would not be around a colony with CCD. If this is true I guess seeing a "few" around is not so bad. As long as we keep strong colonies and use the beetle traps we shouldn't have any big problems.

It also warned about leaving honey stored too long waiting  for extracting, they will burrow through the comb, eat wax and honey, and the worst is they defaecate all over the honey frames and start it to ferment. Hope this helps some one.  :) d2

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:08:05 am »
Everything you'd ever want to know about SHB from a GREAT source:

Small Hive Beetle

Offline Dr. Cricket

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:48:05 am »
I'm trying something experimental with hive beetles. I have my hives over a cement slab with a small trench around the perimeter that has a continuous flow of water running through it. The idea is to create a mote that will keep the beetle from being able to pupate. It also keeps out ants and provides a water source if needed. Time will tell if it works.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:41:20 pm »
The water will not kill them, I have had some in a trough with two inches of water, the crawled around, didn't seem to phase them.  You will be lots better off to keep adult beetle under control.  You can get beetles even if you were able to control the larva at your hives.  If you build it they will come, if you live in an area where they are.  Good luck

Joe

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 01:41:58 am »
I like the little oil traps you put between the frames. I put mine in top between frames 1 & 2 or 9 & 10. Just like changing oil in your car, on a regular basis.  ;) :) d2

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 08:39:07 am »
I have been thinking about trying them, since I can can not find #6 mesh. My local bee shop doesn't carry them. He says you can fix any pest with moth balls... Oh well. Since he is not in it for honey I guess that may work... However I want the honey and don't want to taste moth balls  ;). How much are these and where is a good place to order them. I have went weeks without seeing one, then may find one or two, so thinking these would do just the trick  :)

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:08:52 am »
I'm only in my 3rd year but I've haven't seen a beetle that is too big to go through # 8 mesh. I use oil trays and reduce the entrance. I have 2 long hives with oil trays and small entrances and no place to land but the side of the box. I haven't seen a beetle in either one in a long time. My lang hives I see beetles all the time.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 09:01:31 pm »
I have been thinking about trying them, since I can can not find #6 mesh. My local bee shop doesn't carry them. He says you can fix any pest with moth balls... Oh well. Since he is not in it for honey I guess that may work... However I want the honey and don't want to taste moth balls  ;). How much are these and where is a good place to order them. I have went weeks without seeing one, then may find one or two, so thinking these would do just the trick  :)

dadant and rossman have them.  they help but nothing beats a strong hive.  i've got three hives that pretty much never and the rest have more.  the more pure italians (i have mutts) don't seem to fight them off as well as the mutts.

anything