Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: varroa sticky boards  (Read 4580 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
varroa sticky boards
« on: May 29, 2010, 05:43:14 am »
I need to make some home made sticky boards.  Does #8 mesh mean 8 wires per square inch?  Does the screen have to be above the sticky board to can it just lay on it?  What is best to use for sticky surface?  How did you make yours?

Thanks for help
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: varroa sticky boards
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 08:10:01 am »
>Does #8 mesh mean 8 wires per square inch?

Yes.

> Does the screen have to be above the sticky board to can it just lay on it?

Either will work.

> What is best to use for sticky surface?

Contact paper will work.

> How did you make yours?

When I was counting mites (almost a decade ago now) I just used a plastic tray under the screen wire and nothing sticky and counted dead mites.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 08:16:26 pm »
>Does #8 mesh mean 8 wires per square inch?

Yes.

> Does the screen have to be above the sticky board to can it just lay on it?

Either will work.

> What is best to use for sticky surface?

Contact paper will work.

Where do you get this contact paper?  Its sticky right?

> How did you make yours?

When I was counting mites (almost a decade ago now) I just used a plastic tray under the screen wire and nothing sticky and counted dead mites.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 08:23:19 pm »
On the rare occasion that I want a drop count I use a piece of poster board (one with a gloss finish) sprayed with  Pam cooking oil and covered with a similar sized piece of 1/8" hardware cloth.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:44:39 pm »
On the rare occasion that I want a drop count I use a piece of poster board (one with a gloss finish) sprayed with  Pam cooking oil and covered with a similar sized piece of 1/8" hardware cloth.

Scott

I have some poster board but its black.  I would have to paint it white.  I would rather just by something thats already white and sticky (contact paper if its sticky) as long as it does not cost 7 bucks a pop.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 12:11:05 pm »
Both of my screened bottom boards have slots under them for plastic trays for SHB capture.  I fill them with cooking oil and you can count mites that way also.  One of my trays is black, so I put a layer of white copy paper down then pour a thin layer of oil on top so I can see the mites to count them.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 02:56:22 pm »
I dont have screened bottom boards nor to I want to make a special one to accommodate trays or whatnot.  I just want to make a tray similar to the one they show in this video.  It appears that the sticky board is stuck right to the bottom of the screen.  I will experiment I guess.  Im thinking a 1/4 inch frame with screen stretched over it and a reversed poster or something with pam.  Hope that works.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 03:07:23 pm »
when I used them I covered the sticky board with a thin coat of crisco shortening and slid them under the hardware cloth.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:41:46 am by wd »