Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When should you have your swarm traps out by? (NY)  (Read 3191 times)

Offline rubeehaven2

• House Bee
When should you have your swarm traps out by? (NY)
« on: March 03, 2013, 05:50:34 pm »
I live in the Hudson valley, NY, and winter seems to be making a reprieve at the moment, but I am wondering when swarm traps should be set out.  (Honestly, I haven't made them yet, but am wondering how much time I might have to work on them!)  Am I right in thinking that early to mid April will be the beginning of "Swarm season" in this area?  I'm about an hour south of Albany.

Thanks, Rich

Offline patriotgirlie

• New Bee
Re: When should you have your swarm traps out by? (NY)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 06:01:08 pm »
I am in West Michigan, around the same distance North/South as you.  I was told mid April is when the hives start swarming around here...but they do continue through the summer, so you'll have a pretty good change of catching some swarms if you leave them up / keep putting them up all spring/summer.

Good luck!!

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:02:26 pm »
To be honest unless you are placing them in your own bee yards or yards near other's peoples bees the chances of catching a swarm is pretty slim in this part of the country. If we were in the south or mid-west along the migration routes than it would be worth while, but not up here.

I have only ever had swarm traps catch my own swarms.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 06:12:51 pm »
My traps were very successful up here.....at housing squirrels.  :)

Best to put your name out there in the local papers' classifieds.  You phone won't stop ringing.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:27:49 pm »
Robo has done removals from old homes in the Catskills. They came from swarms. You have nothing to lose but an opportunity if you don't hang one out.
And 2sox is right,contact local emergency services and get your namew on a list for swarm removal.Firemen and police would rather someone else took care of this problem

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 09:50:53 pm »
I get my traps out by the end of April.   When it starts is heavily dependent on the weather. Some years are earlier than the others, but Memorial Day is when I usually start getting calls.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 12:12:26 am »
Here in Central Arkansas I am going to start setting traps Saturday.
Weather is a bit chilly but the bees are laying, have been for a couple of weeks now.
The gals are bringing in some pollen and such already.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:29:14 am »
You can put out bait stations and check locations prior to hanging traps. If you don't have honey bees visiting your bait stations within a few days don't hang a trap in that area. I place bait stations on public right of ways like cemeteries, town parks, greenways, and nature preserves.

They can be as simple as a piece of PVC pipe with a bit of honey in it.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:20:50 am »
To be honest unless you are placing them in your own bee yards or yards near other's peoples bees the chances of catching a swarm is pretty slim in this part of the country. If we were in the south or mid-west along the migration routes than it would be worth while, but not up here.

I have only ever had swarm traps catch my own swarms.

:lau:  Get those traps out before your bees swarm  :).  I always thought that was the idea.

I keep putting out traps every year but have only been successful with an empty hive of 2 medium supers full of drawn/empty brood comb.  Ever since then I always have an empty hive but have yet to have the same experience.  I think I'm just getting better at prohibiting swarms.

Swarms that are cast from my own yard do seem to prefer an apple tree about 20' in front of the beeyard.  I've caught several swarms over the years from that lone tree.  Always an easy catch.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."