Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eden Park, Vic Bee Hive Removal  (Read 16586 times)

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
Eden Park, Vic Bee Hive Removal
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:56:06 am »
Hi Guys

I was just contacted by a guy in Eden Park Victoria.
He has a "bee nest in a tree" they are apparently situated in a large hollow in the tree.
Anyone keen to take a look. Its too far away from me.

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
Re: Eden Park, Vic Bee Hive Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:11:15 am »
It might suit Preston Paul.

Offline Woz

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:26:52 am »
I'd be happy to have a look at it. I have quite a few cutouts under my belt and am also a trained chainsaw operator which may be useful.

(Strange first post on the forum but there you go.)

Woz

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:48:32 am »
Let me know when you go Woz, i'd be interested in tagging along  :)

Offline Woz

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:13:05 am »
Nah, you have first dibs Paul, and it would be me tagging along.  :-D

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:31:48 am »
Ether/either, I don't know if someone else dibsing me counts, but I'm not fussed.
PM me he details Eco and I'll organize a time to check it out. I'll keep you filled in Woz.
Sounds like it could be a good candidate for a trap out which is more appealing to me than cutting a tree apart but one way or the other I'm sure we'll work it out.
Paul.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:49:19 am »
cool i'll let him know we have someone to come and have a look, when he calls me back i'll PM the contact details.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:11 am »
cool i'll let him know we have someone to come and have a look, when he calls me back i'll PM the contact details.

If you guys change your mind im in Wallan its only about 15 -20 mins up the road from me, re Neil

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 06:57:58 pm »
I'm going for a look at 7:30 tonight as that's the earliest the home owners can get there and I am working on the weekend. Not sure how much I'll be able to see but I'll take a torch and a camera  :-D
Paul.

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 11:00:11 pm »
Good luck, I hope they're not too high up in the tree.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 01:39:56 am »
hopefully a removal is achievable

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 08:09:26 am »
Went for a look, too dark to take any photos. Should be a nice easy trap out though, entrance is just above ground level so I can just sit the trap hive on the ground. I'm going back on Saturday week to to set the trap. Wish me luck :-D

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 09:16:50 am »
Good luck!

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 09:23:07 am »
Went for a look, too dark to take any photos. Should be a nice easy trap out though, entrance is just above ground level so I can just sit the trap hive on the ground. I'm going back on Saturday week to to set the trap. Wish me luck :-D

happy days...i'm just glad i was an actual bee nest, you never know sometimes!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 09:27:00 am »
Paul, I don't know what your winter is like, but isn't it a bit late to start a new hive? You might want to consider using a weaker, existing hive for the trap rather than starting a new one.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 01:38:00 am »
Paul, I don't know what your winter is like, but isn't it a bit late to start a new hive? You might want to consider using a weaker, existing hive for the trap rather than starting a new one.
That is something I was a bit worried about, we don't have the harsh winters that parts of the US does, definately no snow where we are so I was hoping it wasn't too late. I was considering using a bought in queen if I could get hold of one, and feeding from the outset. The combs I am planning on using actually have a good bit of pollen in them.
I do have one hive that could use a boost, so that may be the way to go. I hadn't really thought of that.
Thanks for the tip iddee  :)
Paul.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 04:17:01 am »
good tip

I had to start a new hive only a week ago, caught a very small swarm (imagine a very large grapefruit) from one of my gang buster hives, it appears a queen cell slipped by me in my last inspection.

Pulled one brood frames from three different hives plus drawn comb, I reckon they should be fine.

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 09:36:18 pm »
That's a very valid point of Iddee's. I have a guy near me that has a hive with the entrance about 15 feet up the tree and he wants to cut the tree down because it just turned up its toes. He even had someone in to cut it down but the guy got a bit unnerved by the sight of the bees so he asked me if I could save the bees, but I've had to tell him to hold off until spring is on us. The tree has a huge V cut out of the tree, so I hope the winds don't blow too strong over winter... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 11:09:54 am »
Well, we did the deed on Saturday.
The owners were very keen to have the bees gone. They actually had a pest controller booked to come out and spray them, but he didn't turn up! Lucky for the bees and me  :-D They have just bought the property and want to run horses in the field the tree is in. If the hive was higher up I would have tried to talk them in to leaving it but I suspect a ground level hive and curious horses probably don't mix. I don't think it is a very large colony. the previous owner told them he had a swarm going in to it every spring. So either it is too small a space to sustain the colony over winter or he was mistaken and the swarm was coming out.  I am thinking the former at this point, but either way, this will be their last year in this location.
 I took iddee's advice and took our weakest hive out so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

The tree:

The bees seem very calm and are quite yellow:

2 tubes of silicone and some steel wool for filling the bigger gaps and the cone is in place:

Yes, that is number 8 hardware cloth and no I can't tell you where i got it (knocked it off from work  :evil: ):

My hive in place:

I went back out today (Monday) to check on how things are going, plenty of activity at my hive, a few lighter bees mixed in with my dark ones, and none at the cone. I couldn't see bees coming out anywhere else in the tree so I am taking this as a good sign, that I have all the field bees already. Now it's just a waiting game I guess. I'll go out for another look next week to top up their syrup and see how they are going.
Paul.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 11:18:39 am »
Thanks for the photos.  It looks good.

Iddee, what would happen if the queen eventually made it out?

Lone