Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bottling system  (Read 11831 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Bottling system
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 10:15:43 pm »
There is one thing that i am going to try -I bottle out of a jacketed tank -and mannlake and kelly both sell for around  $25 a foot pedal that hooks up to the valve- so jar in one hand and lid in the other hand and use foot to control honey flow-may help production -especially on the large jars -RDY-B

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 11:50:52 pm »
maybe you could build something that would have a manifold with several spouts and a single valve. then you could line your containers up one under each spout and then open the valve and fill them simultaneously. Not sure how you would get the honey to flow evenly to each spout. Now that i think about it this sounds like a sticky mess waiting to happen.

I thought about that (building one out of pvc pipes and 3 or 4lock off valves) but i dont think it will flow fast enough. it may even take longer than filling them individually by hand

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 12:01:40 am »
yeah you almost have to have a small pump or pressure to have a fast loader, thats what them commercial fillers use, about anyway you look at it to buy or build one that will work will cost so save up for one, there could be something already made that can be used that we over looking  but we just have to look. 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 12:11:14 am »
i guess you are right, its a lot of money though roughly J$170,000.00 and that doesnt include shipping. I am still searching though.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 01:11:02 am »
WOW T --- that's alot of bottles of honey!!!
John 3:16

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 10:39:29 pm »
                      Exchange rate is over the top  -gives a new meaning to just my two cents worth  8-) RDY-B                                          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=jamaican+dollar&spell=1

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 12:46:53 am »
                      Exchange rate is over the top  -gives a new meaning to just my two cents worth  8-) RDY-B                                          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=jamaican+dollar&spell=1

"fi real!"

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 03:50:14 pm »
Jamaica is a hard country to get things in and out for a beekeeper and expensive too. Just a thought for you about the multiple fillers, one switch idea... If your tank was rectangular, you could attach a row of honey gates very low on tank and all aligned in a row. The gates can be opened and closed by one board or stiff wire attached to mutiple gates. Your country is very hot, the honey will flow great w/o a pump. When you get low on honey inside your container, you might have to fill one at a time, or refill tank w/ honey to maintain pressure and flow rate.

Similarly, use garden hoses or copper plumbing fittings for filler. One from tank, and split into four or five fillers and one turn/ball valve. I really dont think your honey will be too thick w/ your temps.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 07:40:13 pm »
From an engineering standpoint, you'll want to have a valve/gate at each outlet rather than one valve going to multiple outlets. When you turn the valves off, you want the same amount of "finishing drip" at each bottle, but with a single valve, the longer runs will have more remaining honey to run into the bottle, on the floor, over your shoes...

A sliding gate valve would work well and could be fairly easily cobbled up using plastic, aluminum or stainless steel depending on your sources. Maybe a long "box" with gate valves along the bottom that receives the honey from your pot. You could use a heat tape or even a back warmer wrapped around the "box" to keep the honey flowing. A short nipple of PVC/steel to guide the honey from the box into the bottles.

thoughts...

J-

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 07:53:38 pm »
I was thinking about this Sean and thought about my bulk syrup tank and how a oiless air compressor would better than a pump for this. not sure I would want to bottle more than one bottle at a time though. It could work pretty fast if you set it up like an assembly line. Now all I need to do is get the wife's permmisson to fly down there to help build this thing.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 05:12:26 pm »
I was thinking about this Sean and thought about my bulk syrup tank and how a oiless air compressor would better than a pump for this. not sure I would want to bottle more than one bottle at a time though. It could work pretty fast if you set it up like an assembly line. Now all I need to do is get the wife's permmisson to fly down there to help build this thing.

How can i assist in getting you permission :-D

Using the experience of my drum (60 gal) with a 1 1/2 inch ball valve( i assume) I realize that the honey is not flowing fast enough to make multiple vavles feasible. It would take roughly the same amount of time to fill 3 or 4 as filling them one at a time
unless i use some kind of pump to pressurise the drum along with the mutiple outlets and one/multiple valves.

I knew you guys would come up with a solution. Just need pdmattox to get me a working model :evil:   

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 07:15:29 pm »
I went to "Rapid Tru Value" (think junior Lowes) to buy some paint and my eyes caught sight of of the little canister thingys that are used to measure out the various paint colours when mixing and the old wheels began to turn, could this work for me? anybody out there tried or have any thoughts on this?

Offline Misko

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 02:22:07 pm »
Here's something my friend a beekeeper made.
www.cebelarstvo-bedek.com/miza.zip
and some pictures on our forum http://new.slovenski-cebelarji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1848&highlight=dozirka

He uses a gear pump mounted on the motor. He regulates the rpm of the motor and when the motor stops it takes 3 spins backwards that the honey doesn't drop. Then the table turns and the second jar is filling.
he uses a motor from a cabel hoist because it already has a reductor.

I'am making my prototipe the days but i can't decide what sensor to use for the rpm measuring (inductive, reed swith, hall sensor).
Sory for my bad english.

anything