Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bad honey  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
Bad honey
« on: May 23, 2005, 01:27:53 pm »
This has been a very unique spring in my part of VA.   The bloom period for everything seems to have been up to 50% longer than usual.  Black locust bloomed heavier and longer than even the oldest of the old timers can remember.  I normally get very excited about early spring honey and it usually is very light colored and sweet with very little acid aftertaste.  However, this weekend I pulled two supers of capped honey for extraction and got a shock.  The honey was very dark.  It tasted fair but had a noticeable bitter aftertaste.  It's not fit for human consumption as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe it can go back to the bees.  How???
I am wondering if anyone else has pulled honey yet and experienced similar problems.  Any idea what would be the cause of the bitterness?
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bad honey
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 02:31:40 pm »
You can give it back to the bees if you like.  Buckwheat honey is that dark and tastes a bit like molasses.  Around here the bitter honey is usually not honey but honeydew collected off of aphids.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Bad honey
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 02:40:32 pm »
Could it be honey from the fall? I forgot the name of the stuff usually harvested by the bees - sourwood?

Anyway.... it's darker, and stronger. My husband hated it, and said he could smell it in the house for days giving him a stomach ache.

Beh

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
Bad honey
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 08:25:09 pm »
As for feeding it back to them.....

Just like you would sugar water, but water a little it down so they can take it.

Offline jathomas

• New Bee
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/jathomas
Bad honey
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 11:43:15 am »
You weren't medicating any of your hives recently, were you?

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
Bad honey
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 12:01:31 am »
sourwood honey is sweet with no biter after taste