Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: heleborus winter rose  (Read 3210 times)

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
heleborus winter rose
« on: March 13, 2007, 06:28:02 am »
Last year I planted some heleborus winter roses? A meadow flower from croatia.  I thought the roofers killed them but they came back! First flowers up here.  Crocus too that the old owner planted.  Cant wait for the forget me nots to bloom next.  They were everywhere, and I spread the seed with a rake and let them go last year.  The back yard was basically a field of weeds.  Forget me nots, then dandilions, salmon berries, then all hell breaks loose.  I tried to mow after each flower was done to encourage them to set seed and do there thing.  I hate lawn.  This year Im going to try a huge field of sunflowers in the front lawn. 

enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:17:14 pm by BEE C »

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: heleborus winter rose
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:25:07 am »
BeeC, fix your link to your image, you left off the last "]" end bracket.

I have no luck with heleborus.  I really think it's my up and down climate around here.  It'll be too warm, then Wham!  we're below zero with no snow cover.  I've got four plants out there in the most protected area of my yard but I see no signs of life yet.  We'll see...

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:13:50 am »
The Lenten rose is beautiful and blooms all over Atlanta during this time of year - I hope you fix the end of the img file so we can see your picture.

Linda T

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 03:18:24 pm »
oops! :-D :-D

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 06:13:04 pm »
lucky you! i tried re-planting this heleborus roses ..a dozen times? never succesful, and it's funny around here, the nearby hill hasn't got even one, while the next one is full of them :-\ very picky plants

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 11:01:33 am »
Steve, beautiful picture.  Now there is the man who keeps bees in Pitt Meadows.  Vladamir.  He was in our local newspaper over the past winter with a close up picture of him looking at his heleborus winter rose, stating that he grows this pretty flower, from his home country of Croatia.  Small world.  Best of the great day.  Cindi

Bring on the forget-me-nots, they are beautiful.  I don't like them around here though because they are so invasive.  I am pretty picky about what flowers grow here.  Nevertheless, after 17 years, they will come up near the bush, even though my efforts to keep them away.  It is the neighbour across the street I think.  I see the ditch across the road is always full of the forget-me-nots.  LOL.  You must hate to hear that I pull them all out.  LOL.

Do you know if the bees are attracted to the salmonberry flowers?  I have never noticed and it would be interesting to see if they are.  I have a fair number of the red elderberry, which has the most beautifully fragrant white flowers in spring before they turn to the red berry.  Another bee club member grows the black elderberry, he says they are very attractive to bees.  Have the best day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 05:24:01 am »
Cindi,
Don't know for sure if bees pollinate salmonberries.  Never saw many bees on the flowers, but definitely way more and larger berries the season my bees came to live here.  Of course we were only here a year before that so it could be a coincidence or difference of season.