Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive top feeders  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Rachel

• New Bee
Hive top feeders
« on: November 01, 2008, 06:53:34 pm »
Where do you put a hive top feeder?  Do you put it directly over the super or do you put on an extra box?  When I started I used an extra box, but now that it's cold, I wanted to take it off.  When I tried to put the feeder directly on the frames, I felt like I was smooshing the bees!  I'm doing something wrong!!!
Thanks,
Rachel

Offline Nate

• House Bee
Re: Hive top feeders
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:37:05 pm »
I put mine right on top of the brood nest... and it works just fine. 

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:18:53 pm »
 Hi Rachel!
 I just put mine on top of the box too. The cover(without the inner cover) I put right on top of the feeder...It fits different but it stays put.
your friend,
john

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 01:09:39 am »
I usually feed this time of year since the last 2 years we have had no fall flow, I cut my hives down to 2 deeps or deep and medium, hive top feeder goes on top of all, then the top cover gets put on  8-) .
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Farmer Annie

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 11:51:27 am »
Thanks!  I felt the same way about the way the flat top sits directly on the frame.  Worked well in the spring, but had ant problems as season warmed.
I have the top feeder on and wondering if I should feed in the winter.  We will be very cold, 14 degrees F. tonight.  Dry and windy.  Have deep super, shallow with 9 full frames honey, then empty top feeder.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 12:05:34 pm »
Annie,

Please update your profile with your location so we can better address your questions.

It sounds like you are in a cold climate,  and feeding syrup is not a good idea.  Uncured syrup has a high probability of causing dysentery in cold climates.   You would be much better off feeding fondant, candy, or dry sugar if needed.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/emergency-feeding/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:12:11 pm »
Annie, you posted this question on Nov 5, I see you haven't been active since then.  If you read this thread, your question will be kind of answered. Robo said to not feed the sugar syrup, he is correct in what he is saying.  By the sounds of it, your bees have quite a bit of honey, that should get them through this winter just fine, the colder it is, the tighter the cluster and the less honey consumed.  It is the springtime when the bees begin to break cluster and begin brood rearing that the issues with starvation will usually come up.  But for now, your bees really sound like they have stored enough, all on their own, smiling.  Come back to our forum, we love those new members.  Have a wonderful and awesome day and life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service