Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Upside down queen cells  (Read 2474 times)

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
Upside down queen cells
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:14:29 am »
Did two cut-outs with Howardaj31 yesterday.  The set up was as follows. Metal building on a metal skid in an old industrial facility.  4 colonies under the metal floor of the building.  One week ago, they demolished the building and carried the skid out into a field and dropped it off upside down.  One the first hive, we noticed almost zero open brood, and several queen cells that were built upside down.  At least they were upside down in relation to the rest of the comb.  My first thought was that the queen was injured or killed in the demo process and they started new ones, AFTER the building had been flipped.  Maybe there is a new tv show, Flip This Hive?  Anyway, we placed some of the cells into the new hive right side up and the others upside down.  Do yall think it will matter?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Upside down queen cells
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:27:03 am »
I would assume that it did matter.   Cut each one out and see which ones makes it.         

And when they flipped it over, just how hard did they drop it?   Tear up comb hard?   

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:40:21 pm »
I would assume that it did matter.   Cut each one out and see which ones makes it.         

And when they flipped it over, just how hard did they drop it?   Tear up comb hard?   
Too late on the cutting each one out.  We had a rain storm coming in on us and had to move quick.  The location is about an hour from my house so I will just have to wait and see.  I can go back into them when I pick them up to see which, if any of the cells are or were opened by the emerging queen and note if any of the upside down ones were the first one out, I guess.  Wishing I would have taken pics.
As far as how hard they dropped it........the combs were not destroyed at all, except for one section of the second hive and it was only about 1 cubic foot of about 8-10 cubic  feet of comb.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:57:24 pm »
i was wondering if yall would get it done especially with that weather.  I was busy scooping up swarms that that storm triggered! 5 calls at 5 'oclock.