Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split  (Read 4617 times)

Offline poited

• New Bee
Split
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:06:28 am »
Well I talked to the financial controller today expressing my desire to expand the operation from 2 to 500,000 hives, well thats what she thinks will happen. And the result was a swift no from her and me sulking because I didnt get my way. But she didnt say anything about splitting hives. I am not interested in honey production yet and it is still pretty warm on the Gold Coast. Both my hives are not that strong, about 6 full frames of bees and brood in each hive. If I could source some new queens now, would it be advisable to split the hives into 2 new nucs or wait until spring and get new queens then?

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
Re: Split
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:38 am »
I you can buy a queen, then just split and see what will happen. lol  :evil: 500,000 hives you will need to hire some beekeepers in that gigantic kind of bee keeping operation. Hire me.  :-D
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 03:52:22 am »
Currently on the Gold Coast due to the long dry spell (I know we have recently had a downpour, yet to see what that brings) not all areas are in a honey flow and therefore may not work on new frames.

I would allow the two hives you have to build up and then be in a good position to split in early September.

Kevin

Offline kalium

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:06:26 am »
Currently on the Gold Coast due to the long dry spell (I know we have recently had a downpour, yet to see what that brings) not all areas are in a honey flow and therefore may not work on new frames.

I would allow the two hives you have to build up and then be in a good position to split in early September.

Kevin

We got 6 inches in about a week. The orange blossoms are about to explode everywhere and some gums are budding up.  I put a small super on top as I was worried about running out of space.  I would love to split and get two hives but I am a newbie with little experience, so am playing it safe

Offline poited

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:22:01 pm »
Yes you might be right Kevin, I might let the girls keep building themselves up and will buy a queen and split them in spring. I have noticed a large reduction in pollen coming into the hives over the last month.

Offline SamboRoberts

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:32 am »
Yes you might be right Kevin, I might let the girls keep building themselves up and will buy a queen and split them in spring. I have noticed a large reduction in pollen coming into the hives over the last month.
I wouldn't bother with buying queens, just split them and let the bees sort it out; they know what to do. Leave them until Spring, then keep an eye on them. They'll start building queen cells, then you have to jump and get to splitting.

Offline NewB

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 09:11:40 am »
Just split the hives and don't tell the financial controller. If she finds out tell her that it is to stop swarming. This way you can increase the number of hives without buying more queens. Works for me all of the time.

Offline JasonP

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »
Definatly wouldn't be splitting a weak hive before winter (even though we're still waiting for winter to arrive). Wait for spring then split.

It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission - Grace Murray Hopper.

Good luck
JasonP

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 11:13:36 am »
ya my financial controller put her foot down hard and made me give two boxes away.

she wanted to down size cause I had a bout, twice with AHB,s their kupot now.

got around that now I help others do cutouts an catches