Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Utah  (Read 1985 times)

Offline 40gunner

• Brood
Hello from Utah
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:40:02 am »
I am new to beekeeping. So new I don't have any bees or a hive or anything. Any advice on how to get started will help out a great deal.
Thanks Everyone for your input.

Offline leszekdudek

• New Bee
    • lista dłużnikow
Re: Hello from Utah
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:05:53 am »
Helo, nice to me you ant the others :) My name is Leszek and I from Poland

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 10:23:54 am »
Welcome to the forum gunner!

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:07:30 pm »
Hello gunner and our friend from Poland.  Gunner try to find a local bee club.  Your county extension service or state agriculture department/bee inspector would know who and where they are probably.  For supplies mannlakeltd.com is one place to start.  Dadant, brushymountainbeesupply, kelleybee, Westernbee.com and many many more want to sell you equipment.  Getting late to start from zero and end up with bees this year.  For that to happen, I would advise trying to find a local beekeeper who might be willing to sell you a split off one of their colonies or sell you a swarm.  Swarm season has got to be getting close in your area. 

First things first, is do a serious amount of reading.  A great compendium of information is Michael Bush and his great website.  Buy his book if you like paper or it is all available on his website which I believe is bushfarms.com  Don't overlook youtube video's.  fatbeeman channel is informative or go to Dixiebeesupply.com for lots of good information.  Lots of knowledge and a few crusty old men are available to study here on the this forum.  Go thru the old posts that might interest you and read all the answers to the questions.  Then devise your own questions.  You will get more and better information that way than those who sometimes enter the forum and seem to say HI!  teach me everything. 

You will rapidly discover that every beekeeping question has three answers.  At least two of them will be exhorted loudly by a second year beekeeper who has read every book and theory, understand part of it and is willing to present themselves as an authority.  You need to be selective on what you take in for information.  Your best source of information is usually a long time beekeeper in your zip code.  Welcome to an endlessly fascinating addiction. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 11:28:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum, 40gunner and leszekdudek.   Gunner you can probably look at your states bee assoc., you can find them on the web, see a list of people with paid membership.  Can also see the local bee club close to you.

Joe

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:20:57 pm »
Welcome aboard  40gunner and leszekdudek