Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from South Dakota  (Read 2438 times)

Offline TheCompound

• New Bee
Hello from South Dakota
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:53:45 pm »
New member and 'beehaver' here.  Just installed my first two packages last Saturday and it's been cold ever since.  Hopefully things warm up soon and I can start transitioning to the title 'beekeeper'!

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
Re: Hello from South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:20:18 pm »
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll warm up before we do. It's good to have you here.
Tim

Offline REDBEE

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:29:46 pm »
What part of SD are you in ,I'm east central but have been in TX all winter missing all the snow :-D :-D,be back up in a couple of weeks

Offline TheCompound

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:10:13 pm »
I'm about 20 miles west of Sioux Falls near Humboldt.  Installed my bees last Saturday at 34 degrees and I don't think we've seen the 40 degree mark since.    :(

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:20:22 pm »

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:42:07 pm »
I need to make a trip up to Sturgis some time...I gotta see your yards Bruce!

BTW, welcome Compound!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:53:11 am »
welcome compound. I am 25 east of you, from Brandon. I am down in Texas working my bee's  now. 90's here yesterday, enjoy the cool while you still can.

Joel

Offline TheCompound

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:11:02 am »
...enjoy the cool while you still can.

Haha - thanks.  I'll be sure and pass that along to my California born bees! 

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:34:27 am »
Are you getting feed into those bees?  I followed others who put warm syrup in a gallon zip lock bag and lay it directly on top of the frames where the bes are clustered and poking a couple 1 inch holes in the top of the upper side.  I tried the feeder jars and they seem to cool off and not get used.  We had a foot of wet snow to wake up to this morning and it snowed til noon!  Supposed to hit fifty tomorrow.  I pray for some global warming to hit here!

anything