Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie from Upstate South Carolina  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Lazer128

• New Bee
Newbie from Upstate South Carolina
« on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:57 pm »
I have ordered my first two packages of bees for a March 30th pick-up.  I have a lot to do to get ready for the girls.  My biggest challenge is going to be the black bears that frequent our property.  I am trying to find out what has worked for others.  Baited electric fence?  If so, what configuration?    "Shark cage"? 

I am anxious to learn from you.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Newbie from Upstate South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:21:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Lazer.  Can't help you on the bears.  Last year there was one about 10 miles from me.  After beeing in peoples yards a few times the fish and game moved it some where.  A couple of weeks later it was spotted making its way back.  The game and fish moved it again, hasn't been seen since.  Good luck with your bees and bears.

Joe

Offline Lazer128

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:47:58 am »
Thanks for the Welcome, Joe.  I am meeting with a couple of bee keeping mentors today that are only a mile or so from me.  They have to deal with the bears too so I am in hopes of getting some good advice and getting on with building stands and painting boxes.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:50:17 am »
Welcome to the forum Lazer, plenty of time for you to get your plan together.

Offline Lazer128

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:12:13 am »
I know you're right tefer2 but I always want to be early.  I'm the guy that gets there early and helps you set up for the party.  First to arrive and first to leave too!  lol

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:44:23 am »
Spend $25 bucks next September and get a bear permit.   Hot wires can work with an electric fence.   Some put small bits of bacon to teach the bears about the hot wires.  Welcome to the forum. 

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 11:59:56 am »
Lazer, planing ahead and common sense makes a good beekeeper. We have to live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to have any dealing's with black bear's.

Offline Lazer128

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 10:12:04 pm »
Allen:  I was going to do just that this past October and work kept me from taking the time off.  Next October I plan to sit in a tree the entire still hunt week.  Problem is there are a lot more than just one.  Game cam caught mama and two cubs just this year.  The big males make their trek through here several times a year too.  I am on the edge of a large watershed where no man is allowed.  My place is one of the first you get to when they come out of the "wilderness".  It's going to be a challenge.  I won't put the 270 away after deer season ends this week.  A shot over the head of a bear seems to keep it away for 1.5-2 weeks.  Well.....it did before there are boxes of honey in the yard!