Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Keeping & Cub Scouts  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Bee Keeping & Cub Scouts
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:56:21 am »
I've been asked by some of our local Cub Scout leaders to provide about 25 boys & their den mothers a little class on Honey Bees and Bee Keeping. I can create something from scratch, but if there is something available I can use/tweet/modify to help me provide the boys a more meaningful and organized class, I would certainly use it.

Any suggestions?  Places to look?

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Bee Keeping & Cub Scouts
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:18:45 am »
The American Honey Bee Assoc as some free downloadable stuff on their website.  Their are a lot of good aids available from some of the suppliers.  The best selections, IMO, are Mann Lake and Bushy Mtn.  Click on education or books on the various websites.  Some (Bushy Mtn I believe) even have a education section.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:21:14 am »
I have an OpenOffice Impress presentation that I use for schools and scouts.  PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:50:34 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Carl F

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:36:04 am »
Do you have or can you get a moveable observation hive from someone in your local beekeeper's group?  I can tell you as a former (30+ years ago) cub scout and husband of a 3rd grade teacher that an ob hive will be your best attention getter and visual aid.
Let your life speak.

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 12:15:22 pm »
Brian:  Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what these sources have to offer. There should be some good material here.

Robo: I couldn't find your e-mail address in the forum's system, but I did e-mail you through "ROBO's World".  I have Open Office and access to a PC based overhead projector.

CarlF: We don't have a local bee keepers group in our area, but WSU (Washington State University) may have one. They offer 2 classes in Bee Keeping. Good Idea, Carl.

Thanks everyone for the help. This should be fun, if I do a good job and make it interesting for the boy.

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:24:37 pm »
Robo: I couldn't find your e-mail address in the forum's system, but I did e-mail you through "ROBO's World".  I have Open Office and access to a PC based overhead projector.

Got it and you should have it now :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mountaineerfan

• New Bee
    • Mountain Musings on Bees and Life
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 01:57:05 pm »
Hey!
I'm about to do an impromptu presentation Thursday night to my son's cub scout pack.  I'm going to tell them about bees, equipment, etc. away from the apiary.  Then after we do that, we are heading to the hives, where I will do my best to find a queen for them.  I did make up a little liability waiver form for them to sign.  Just an idea.  Let me know what you find!  I want to do this some more in the future.  I'm also going to have some honey for them to taste.
STeve

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 07:18:37 pm »
Hey!
I'm about to do an impromptu presentation Thursday night to my son's cub scout pack.  I'm going to tell them about bees, equipment, etc. away from the apiary.  Then after we do that, we are heading to the hives, where I will do my best to find a queen for them.  I did make up a little liability waiver form for them to sign.  Just an idea.  Let me know what you find!  I want to do this some more in the future.  I'm also going to have some honey for them to taste.
STeve

A word of Caution ;
If I may, " liability waiver ", please don't put much faith in this.
 They are minors, you are invitieing them on to your property, your liability actually goes up !

Ever notice the signs at auctions, yard sales etc. " Not responsible for Accidents " legeally these aren't worth the paper they are written on.

When you open up that hive, be sure each are fully suited up.

Sounds like a great idea, but I'd give second thoughts in this sue happy day.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 02:58:06 am »
Hey!
STeve

a word of Caution ;
If I may, " liability waiver ", please don't put much faith in this.
 They are minors, you are invitieing them on to your property, your liability actually goes up !

Ever notice the signs at auctions, yard sales etc. " Not responsible for Accidents " legeally these aren't worth the paper they are written on.

When you open up that hive, be sure each are fully suited up.

Sounds like a great idea, but I'd give second thoughts in this sue happy day.

Bee-Bop

To address this issue I bought 10 military surplus Mesquito nets and 4 packs of 2 gaiters from Sportmen's Guide.  That way the heads and ankles are protected.  Now I need a batch of gloves at a low price.  I spent $15 for the mesquito nets and another $30 for the gaiters.  I can now take a group of 12 people into the bee yard at one time between the mesquito nets and vailes and assorted gaiters etc.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!