Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Simpsons and bee conservation  (Read 3010 times)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
The Simpsons and bee conservation
« on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:42 pm »
Anyone see last night's episode. It revolved all around Lisa trying to conserve honey bees. I don't think they even did a Google search to find out anything at all about bees before they they made it. Everything from a "bees house" in a paper wasp nest to Lisa carrying around a weak swarm in a glass bottle.

Pretty pathetic. If you want to see it, here is the direct link to see it free:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/47616/the-simpsons-the-burns-and-the-bees
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: The Simpsons and bee conservation
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:12:43 pm »
Can't be much worse than the Bee Movie....

We're supposed to nod at all the innaccuracies and say "But hey, isn't it great they are helping our cause?".

That is entertainment industry for you....high on entertainment, low on facts.  Jump on the lasted craze everybody is talking about.

Rick
Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:34:10 pm »
much worse than bee movie frankly.... At least Bee Movie was funny....
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 06:04:49 pm »
True. I didn't laugh once during the 22 wasted minutes of my life.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 06:19:33 pm »
Why would anyone expect a TV cartoon to be factual in any way ?
Seriously, people complained about the content of bee movie for its facts ?????
If I want to be educated in anyway on any subject I am not going to watch a cartoon.

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 07:32:36 pm »
If I want to be educated in anyway on any subject I am not going to watch a cartoon.

Hmmm. Don't know how often you watch the Simpsons, but it isn't just a cartoon. A cartoon is generally a 7-8 minute short comedic, animated story aimed at getting laughs. The Simpsons is a prime-time animated sitcom that prides itself on promoting social hot topics, political satire, and pop culture. It may have begun as merely a long cartoon, but has evolved into something much more than that.

If such a show cannot be expected to treat something that is as cut and dry as beekeeping, factual, then what can we expect of the treatment they give political and social topics? What about the lazies who get "news" and political talking points from such shows as this? There are people like this and it is an embarrassment and a travesty.

You essentially saying that it's foolish to complain about such things is equal to saying, "No big deal. Who cares." I know it's just an animated sit-com, but to a generation of lazy, TV watching slackers, it is more than that. It is where they get a half-hour lesson on topics their attention span is too short to devote to real information.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 07:38:18 pm »
Thomashton, well said!!!  Beauty.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 09:52:15 am »

Hmmm. Don't know how often you watch the Simpsons, but it isn't just a cartoon. A cartoon is generally a 7-8 minute short comedic, animated story aimed at getting laughs. The Simpsons is a prime-time animated sitcom that prides itself on promoting social hot topics, political satire, and pop culture. It may have begun as merely a long cartoon, but has evolved into something much more than that.

If such a show cannot be expected to treat something that is as cut and dry as beekeeping, factual, then what can we expect of the treatment they give political and social topics? What about the lazies who get "news" and political talking points from such shows as this? There are people like this and it is an embarrassment and a travesty.

You essentially saying that it's foolish to complain about such things is equal to saying, "No big deal. Who cares." I know it's just an animated sit-com, but to a generation of lazy, TV watching slackers, it is more than that. It is where they get a half-hour lesson on topics their attention span is too short to devote to real information.

Yeap the simpson did get away from being a cartoon and that is the reason I now watch Family Guy
Long live Stewie and his plans on world domination!!!!!!!!

Keith

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 10:47:39 am »
I'll just repeat what bothered me about the Bee Movie was that our local schools, using our school tax dollars had BUS TRIPS (field trips I guess) to local theaters to see a cartoon that someone thought would help kids understand the plight of the honeybee, CCD and other issues - why they thought this, I have no clue.

But to take buses of kids to see at best a mildly entertaining kiddy film, then let's also take them to see Nemo and Shrek and Wall-E while we're at it and all in the name of EDUCATION. That is what bugged me.

I'll be watching the Simpsons Episode later on Fox's Web Casting, it sounds sad - and as stated above The Simpsons is indeed does follow social aspects in sitcom fashion, tackling real world issues and usually with realistic details, sounds like they missed the boat on this one.

Just remember though, all the Fox cartoons are made in South Korea ( or were) - I wonder if the term beekeeping is just not enough for them to paint realistic American (or generally accepted) story boards turned into recognizable hives and such? One thing we have learned here is beekeeping varies greatly from country to country.

Gonna watch it later, caught most of Fox Cartoon Sunday shows this weekend, missed that though.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:33:26 am »
The Bee Movie may not have been factually accurate, but I DID PROMOTE BES IN A POSITIVE LIGHT! It also brought a positive view to bees generally. How important they are, and what it is they do. The Simpsons was a total waste and provided negative misinformation.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »
The Bee Movie may not have been factually accurate, but I DID PROMOTE BES IN A POSITIVE LIGHT! It also brought a positive view to bees generally. How important they are, and what it is they do. The Simpsons was a total waste and provided negative misinformation.

Lisa jumping onto the "beehive" shouting "Save Yourselves!" sure won't be helping us in the long run.

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 02:24:42 pm »
Or the only appropriate honey bee "habitat" in all of the greater Springfield area being a run down greenhouse. :? Really? A greenhouse is bee habitat? Man was that terrible.

anything