Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Have a major problem  (Read 2211 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Have a major problem
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »
Howdy All

Today i went to check on my new queen and i found eggs and i also found alot of queen cells built. Now when i released her well before i turned her out i checked the hive all over and shook every frame to be sure no queen cells was built and i only found two. Now today i found about ten and i also found a queen laying but the one i had released had a yellow spot on her but this one did not could the bees have taken it off when they were cleaning my spray off them and the spot fell off and this queen is laying but why are they still building cells and this queen is laying good this is not the old one and i found no signs of the new queen outside of the hive what can i do to stop them from building queen cells if this queen is laying good patterns none of my hives have drones so it would not be good for them to raise a queen and she can't be mated.

Tom

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Have a major problem
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 11:34:06 pm »
> Today i went to check on my new queen and i found eggs and i also found alot of queen cells built. Now when i released her well before i turned her out i checked the hive all over and shook every frame to be sure no queen cells was built and i only found two. Now today i found about ten

They often blame whatever is going on on the queen.  They may also think she didn't start laying soon enough (a banked queen often takes a little while to hit her stride) and sometimes I think they just hedge their bets.

> and i also found a queen laying but the one i had released had a yellow spot on her but this one did not

Did you only find ONE queen?

> could the bees have taken it off when they were cleaning my spray off them and the spot fell off

Usually there is at least some residue of the old spot left.

> and this queen is laying but why are they still building cells and this queen is laying good this is not the old one

So you have a queen that is laying well.  What's the worry?

> and i found no signs of the new queen outside of the hive what can i do to stop them from building queen cells

Probably nothing.

> if this queen is laying good patterns none of my hives have drones so it would not be good for them to raise a queen and she can't be mated.

I'll bet IF they take those cells to fruition they will find drones somewhere.  I'm still raising queens and I'm still seeing drones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tom

• House Bee
Thank you Mr.Bush
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 12:44:28 am »
Hello

Mr. Bush thank you i searched for all queen cells and destroyed them and i did see a big bold spot on the queen that was laying but how can i stop them from starting queen cells they are building near the two frames close to the wall i have notice that the brood from the last queen is laid her eggs on the outside of the brood area. I am going to check on them again friday but i am going to move all brood frames into the middle along with the queen and see how things go. I talked to a local beek and he told me that it is possible that the spot on her was not put on well and it fell off. But he also told me to keep close check on the hive and queen cells and to keep getting rid of them until they stop which he said they will because he has ran into this problem several times his own self.

Tom

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Have a major problem
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:29:44 am »
Bees just want to change the queen. They do it at least during winter and you will have unmated queen in spring.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Have a major problem
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 02:12:52 am »
Bees will often build queen cells as an insurance policy and just as often tear them out again.  If the queen cells continue to be developed it says to me that the bees are dissatisfied with the queen for some reason.  Bees use different criteria than beekeepers.  If the bees are determined to supercede the queen they will often continue until successful.  By tearing out the queen cells repeatedly you may be just delaying the inevidable.  Be aware that it is not uncommon for hives to kill an unwanted queen once a crop of replacements are capped.  Cutting out queens cells then could result in a queenless hive.
If you can get this hive to winter with the current queen in place do not be surprised that one of the first things they do in the spring is supercede the queen.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tom

• House Bee
Thank you Gentlemen
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:18:12 am »
Hello

I see that i still is learning alot from you all thru out your posts and to my questions. I will keep a good eye on them and will see how it goes until the first frost comes. I had this problem with my third hive bacck in the summer but they finally took the new queen as thier own this is the last year i am going to order queens if my hives from now on need a new queen they will do it on thier own and thank you all again i am a student of this art and one day i will understand it more better from when i last kept bees.

Tom