Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hundreds of dead bees  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Kevin Goats

• New Bee
Hundreds of dead bees
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:56:45 pm »
Howdy, just a quick question. I have 3 established hives all with first year queens. I just harvested 22 gallons of honey from them. Then, I put the supers back out in the yard to get cleaned up. When I went out to check how clean the supers were, I found (50-75)dead bees in front of one of the hives. I searched inside the hive and found hundreds of dead bees on the bottom board. There is a ton of live bees still in the hive along with fresh brood (saw a little girl coming out of her cell), also alot of the frames have nicely capped out honey. The other 2 hives are within 1-2 feet of this hive.  It is in the mid 90's in the day and high 70's at night with very little rain here lately (but ,we have several pools and a river close by). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank y'all, Kevin

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Hundreds of dead bees
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:12:06 pm »

Sounds like putting the wet supers out to be cleaned up incited a robbing incident.

Offline Kevin Goats

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:12:03 pm »
I kind of was thinking that. Thanks

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:26:06 pm »

Sounds like putting the wet supers out to be cleaned up incited a robbing incident.

i agree, I always put mine wet super about 100 feet from the hives and let them work them over about 2 days, then put them in trash bags and then in a freezer for 20 hours, then I store unless I need them for other hives.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline benny

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:12:50 pm »
Could it be from a crop duster?  What do the bees do if they got into that toxic stuff?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 09:00:12 pm »
They died of a broken heart because their whole summer's work was taken away from them...   :'(     :'(

It sounds more like pesticide to me. If it were robbing, they would still be doing it. They don't stop once they start.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 10:00:52 pm »
They died of a broken heart because their whole summer's work was taken away from them...   :'(     :'(

LOL

It sounds more like pesticide to me. If it were robbing, they would still be doing it. They don't stop once they start.

diitto

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything