Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Got C3!!!  (Read 3999 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Got C3!!!
« on: September 10, 2004, 10:28:46 pm »
I finally was able to get up to see the Beemaster and get C3!
We had talked on the phone and I knew we would get along but the time really flew. When john talks about his "bus" think Luxery Liner. Very nice. Everything is very well thought out. It really was a pleasure to hang out there with John and then spend the night in it. It reallly has everything.
John and I problably oculd have talked into the wee hours but at least he was samrt enought to call it a night. I had to get out near a certain time to miss the DC traffic and there really isn't that big a window. I was shown around Navy Lakehurst. WOW. Good to see our tax dollars doing something worthwhile. The steam that John makes powers the catapult for launchings. They have a actual catapult exactly like on a carrier there. Everything about it is huge. But when you think about the fact that they have to get a ~45,000 lb plane to around 200 mph in 200 ft. you can understand why they have it and why all of it is to the scope that it is.
The hindenberg site was very nicely done, a fitting monument. The base itself is very big and there are deer running around all over it.

I am going to post tomorrow about getting C3. I have a bunch of pics and I need to upload them and maybe adjust them a bit for lighting in photoshop.
But C3 is safe and sound in my yard. John really had some good ideas about how to rig it for shipping and it wroked out really well.
But I'd rather tell this story with the pics so you will all have to wait until sometime tomorrow.
So I am finally a Beekeeper. Who starts in sept anyway? LOL.
There's a lot more to tell, but I got home checked email, set up C3, visited my Mom, got groceries to replace the stuff that had curdled or turned green and now my chinese food is waiting. After that
SLEEP!
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
C3
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 01:16:07 am »
Good Luck Rog!    Enjoy the time with the bees.  The first time you go in your own hive, it's precious.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Ladybee

• New Bee
Got C3!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 07:25:52 pm »
Roger

I rarely ever write in the forum, John is the beekeeper afterall, but I wanted to say it was a pleasure meeting you too, even though I tried to give you and John lots of alone time. He uses that speech reader program so often that I get to hear nearly every posting from the forum and it ws nice to hear my name mentioned. That speech thing Hal usually drives me nuts, but John listens to it while he makes me dinner since he always gets home before I do. I know he will read this, but I still have to say I have a wonderful and loving husband and he talks about the friends and members of the forum very often.

I'm not giving anything away by saying he enjoyed your company very much and he was glad that between the two of you there were only three stings. He was hoping that neither of you had to dressup against stings, he doesn't believe that protective equipment makes for good bee-karma. He really liked the way you naturally felt comfortable around the bees and gladly did everything you could to pick up any clues he could offer.

Most of all, I think he was very pleased that the weather had cleared and it was a beautiful day instead of the nasty rainy and windy day predicted only two days prior. So again it was nice meeting you Roger and you are welcome to stay with us anytime you are near our home. Thank too for the kind words about our RV, it really is John's baby, he cleans and cares for it, I only wish I could get him so inspired when it comes to regular house work.

Good luck with the honeybee, if they bring you the pleasure and the friendships that john has gotten from beekeeping for his 3 decades of keeping honeybees, then I think you will be a very happy beekeeper too.

God Bless and Happy Birthday and best wishes to your Mom.

Tracey

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Got C3!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 07:48:28 pm »
Kielbasi Update:

Well Rog, we had it fried and boiled and it's gone, but mom will now and forever know you as the Kielbasi Bearer (and to Mom food rules) lol. I still get a wiff of it when I open the fridge in the bus too  8)  

I told Mom that you really liked the fridge, she said a guy Rog's size would need a big fridge :)

Thanks too from me about the nice things you had to say. I too would have loved to stay up late Thursday night and BS about everything, but my getting up early and going to bed late NEVER go together, so I thought it time to dim the lights and put out the cat - lol.

Best of all, I got to take Friday off, it was PAY DAY FRIDAY where MOST of the base is normally off - if I had been at the powerplant working, it would have been hard to get off, but being at Transportation bought me a little flexibility. All in All, everything worked out perfect EXCEPT we never did get to eat breakfast Friday morning - I ended up munching on cold pizza after you left and kicking myself for at least not offering you something to eat before hitting the road.

All of the bees made their way into C2 as we figured. By this morning, everything was as normal and there were no stragglers in search of a hive that was far far away!

Later
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Got C3!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 11:52:42 pm »
I'm glad you and yours enjoyed the Kielbasi. Since I have moved it's a rare treat for me too. Tomorrow my brother and I will have Kielbasi and eggs for breakfast and that will be the end of my ring too.

Tracey thank you for your hospitality. I enjoyed every minute of my visit. John I can see that despite her problems your Mom is a strong woman and a very nice person.

As far as being comfortable around the bees without protective gear, I have been doing construction for more than a few years and have had to deal with yellowjackets and wasps on a regular basis, on top of a ladder with out protective gear. Also from reading Johns stuff about bee-karma just makes sense to me. The sting I recieved was from a bee that was on a piece of wood that I grabbed and was inadvertently squeezing.

Thank You and your family for having me. I really enjoyed myself.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
Got C3!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 12:20:54 am »
Big Rog, I think your really in for an interesting time with your bees.  Just when you think you know what to expect, that's when they suprise you.  Sometimes with a sting (or several)  Sometimes as your hand passes over the frames.. they are reaching for you.. other times they explode from between the frames.. bump and land on your hand as it passes.. then calmly fly back to the frame tops.. almost like a test.  I'm certain a panicked jerking away would lead to stings.  When things change.. remember to ask yourself "whats different?"   And if your into them, and things are getting intense.. don't be afraid to walk away for a few minutes.  Let them get back to work before returning.  Remember.. big colonys make big crops... but big colonys are a LOT more defensive too.  I believe the further from the queen, the greater the role that odors and scents play.  So the alarm odor from bees in a top box of 4 deeps, will get greater response than the same odor in a 2 box colony.  One nice thing about bees.. few things have to be done "right now!"  Most of all.. have fun.  

You did a very good thing John.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Got C3!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 04:36:23 am »
I've already learned the walking away thing. While we were inspecting the hive and starting to get it ready this one bee would start buzzing my head, circling and bumping into my head. She would keep it up until I was about 15 ft away from the hive. I would step back calmly and wait until she stopped then go back. This happened about 4 times. I really think that it was the same bee each time. I also enjoyed a full out empty the hive when I opened the hive after uncrating it. That was a rush. How do so many get out so fast?

Anonymous

Got C3!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 10:37:18 am »
Now You've done it and are hooked for life untill poor health or death do you part.
Good luck with your Sept bees. Mine came in Oct but didn't stay in the spring.
 :D Al