Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Study Guides  (Read 5272 times)

Offline CapeCod

• House Bee
Study Guides
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:10:37 pm »
I have read BEEKEEPING FOR DUMMIES.(Howland Blackiston)
And now Im reading BACKYARD BEEKEEPERS.(Kim Flottum) My opinion was better than the dummies one
What would you suggest for my next one,,,Im thinking BEEKEEPERS HANDBOOK?

Suggestions?

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
Re: Study Guides
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:16:43 pm »
CapeCod,

For true information overload, read the ABC-XYZ of Bee Culture by Root Company. It has everything in it. But Hive Management by Bonney is excellent as well.

Enjoy them all!

DennisB

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:45:42 pm »
That's funny. I bought the same to books to learn from. :-D
Brenda

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:04:51 pm »
MB's site. Articles section where many grewat books can be downloaded for free.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:36:43 pm »
 You have read two good books and You can read books till the proverbial cow comes home and may not learn anything new that you didn't get from the last book. Sometimes you just get more confused. Go get some bees and learn how to keep them. Granny would say something like you will never learn to cook if you never pick up the skillet. :-D  You can do it..

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:26:52 pm »
Most books on beekeeping gives the slant (practices) championed by the author.  ABC-XYZ and Hive and the Honey Bee are more like an encyclopedia on beekeeping and less on viewpoint.  I recommend them for that reason.  I found much in Beekeeping for Dummies that I disagreed with, especially when recommending the practice to a newbee.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:49:23 am »
Brian, can you give examples of what you disagreed with?  I read the "dummies" book and enjoyed the simplicity.  It seems slightly dated in regards to varroa control.  Every bee meeting that talks of the subject, agrees that apistan is pretty much history.  Your thoughts?

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:30:56 am »
Did you know that our wonderful host Beemaster (John) did the pictures for the Beekeeping For Dummies?!?!  It's true!  The cover pic was of his very own bees!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline TonyW

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:59:41 pm »
I have read the 2 books that you mentioned and about 20 others (I'm an engineer - I can't help it)  including ABCs and XYZs and The Hive and the Honey Bee - all good books.  There seemed to be a gap between books for the complete newbee and books for the experienced beek.  One book that I found for that gap is "Hive Management: A Seasonal Guide for Beekeepers" by Richard Bonney.  I found it useful for me.  I had plenty of info on what to do my first year but not really for my second year and beyond.  I think this is a good book to read after one or 2 of the beginners' books.  Another beginner book I also like is "The Queen and I" by Ed Weiss for his storytelling style.

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 01:17:08 pm »
Did you know that our wonderful host Beemaster (John) did the pictures for the Beekeeping For Dummies?!?!  It's true!  The cover pic was of his very own bees!

Sean Kelly

I didn't realize that! I'd like to know why there are the different colors in the comb?
Brenda

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »
That is different colors of pollen.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Alan Forbes

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 03:14:35 pm »
My favorite book on beekeeping has always been "The Art and Adventure of Beekeeping" by Ormond Aebi

http://www.amazon.com/art-adventure-beekeeping-Ormond-Aebi/dp/0913300381/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205345364&sr=8-8

Ormond kept bees with his brother, Harry in Santa Cruz, California and they were able to catch my imagination and filled my mind with excellent information. 

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 09:58:03 pm »
I like the dummies book too.  It is a bit simple, but when getting started, the last thing I need is to try to drink from a firehose. It seems for me that once I learn the basics, I can fill in some of gaps. This site has been instrumental in that gap-filling.
Brian

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 05:04:43 am »
I think beekeeping for dummies is a good book to start your foundation when it comes to information

Offline asciibaron

• House Bee
    • The Elvaton Apiary
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 01:30:44 pm »
my first book was "Beginning Beekeeping" from Penn State/MAAREC. I really found it gave me enough technical detail without being dry.

it's available on-line now and is worth a look:

pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/agrs93.pdf

-Steve

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 12:50:56 am »
Brian, can you give examples of what you disagreed with?  I read the "dummies" book and enjoyed the simplicity.  It seems slightly dated in regards to varroa control.  Every bee meeting that talks of the subject, agrees that apistan is pretty much history.  Your thoughts?

It is simplist, to a point.  The problem I have with it, and many other books written by beekeepers is that their approach it totally one sided and often makes the beeginner feel they have to do it just like the book says.  If I were doing it I would list various options, when to try them, etc, instead of my way or the highway.  But then I advocate experimenting a bit, mistakes teaches better and more thoroughly than anything else.  My mentor used to say, "If you ain't making mistakes, you ain't learning."
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 08:02:18 am »
>their approach it totally one sided and often makes the beeginner feel they have to do it just like the book says.

That was my problem with most bee books I read over the years.  They often present only one possibility and act as if there are no other possibilities.  On the other hand, I think sometimes I overwelm the beginner with too many choices.  But the problem is that they HAVE choices and they need to be aware of them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 12:36:25 am »
The best book I've ever read about beekeeping is The How To Do It Book of Beekeeping by Richard Taylor.  Taylor treated his method as the only correct way like you guys have been complaining about, but it is practical, makes good sense and has a lot of facts and information in it.  It was written for the "little guys" like those of us on this site are.  It and ABC's are the only two books I ever refer back to.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 12:42:11 am »

Sean Kelly

I just found this out this week, when I picked up the book again and started to read it again. I was so surprised to find out the photo was by John. Wonderful photo.

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 09:56:34 am »
i was wondering about what to read next, now i got a book list !  l like the guid for dummies book, well laid out and lets face it when we all start anything new we are dummies !

anything