Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greenville, SC  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
    • http://www.firstbees.blogspot.com
Greenville, SC
« on: April 08, 2005, 06:21:37 pm »
What's going on guys...popped onto this excellent site today, and felt compelled to register after browsing through lots and lots of messages. This seems to be a great resource for newbie beekeepers such as myself! I have the feeling yall will be seeing me around quite a bit...!

I'm a psych student down here in SC finishing up my last term in college, doing lots of work studying the behavior of honeybees and their discriminative learning capabilities. Got involved last summer and since then I've been hooked on these fascinating little creatures. I'm off to Vermont next year for graduate school, and plan to be keeping a hive up there as well, although I will undoubtedly need some advice concerning wintering, etc.

Waiting on a couple of new packages to come in over the next few weeks. We've got a hive on campus, but I've twisted my professor's arm into letting me set up the observation hive here in the lab as well, so that's the next big thing. Counting down the days until the girls get here.

See you guys around!
www.firstbees.blogspot.com
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-St. Philo of Alexandria

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
Greenville, SC
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 07:15:46 pm »
Congratulations on completing your degree (well almost) Lots of beekeepers up here in VT so you will be most welcome here. Will you be attending UVM or some other school for your graduate degree?
Judy

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Greenville, SC
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 07:23:06 pm »
Quote from: Wombat

I'm a psych student down here in SC finishing up my last term in college!

You are gonna have so much fun here  :P  You could spend the first year with ME on the couch  :shock:

Welcome aboard seriously.... Thanks for the kind words and I hope you have found a new play ground to learn and fun in.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
Greenville, SC
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 08:07:19 pm »
Yep, I'll be up at UVM...

Fell in love with Burlington over the summer, and met a great advisor that I hit it off with immediately. Vermont is incredible, and I can't wait to get up there...very cool place. And I'm a snowbird, so I won't be having any reservations about leaving the blazing heat and humidity of the Carolina summers.

Hopefully when I head up there I can meet up with some seasoned beekeeping veterans and get involved in some local associations, etc...

Maybe you have some recommendations, Judy?

thanks for the kind welcome
mike
-St. Philo of Alexandria

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
Greenville, SC
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 09:07:04 pm »
There is a Vermont Beekeepers Association which is a state wide organization. It has a web site and has meetings a couple of times a year plus they put on programs in the summer/fall in two sites in the state. One of those sites is in Burlington.

I'd put a link in here but I have no idea how to do that. The address is:
www.vtbeekeepers.org

As for local associations, I think there may be some but I haven't hooked up with any in my area yet.

See you on the forum. There is lots of help here from experienced beekeepers.
Judy

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Greenville, SC
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 09:18:31 pm »
Quote from: Judy Frey

I'd put a link in here but I have no idea how to do that. The address is:
www.vtbeekeepers.org

Guess what Judy, thanks to the marvels of modern software, you just did it! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Greenville, SC
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 11:25:47 pm »
Welcome aboard!!! Talk to ya on the forums, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
Greenville, SC
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 09:57:52 am »
Wow! That was easy. I didn't know I knew how!
Judy

Offline beebloke

• New Bee
Greenville, SC
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 08:33:27 am »
Hi Wombat,
Your name caught my eye,a wombat is an Australian native animal.

How did you come up with this name?

I dont think i would like to describe a wombat  for others in case I might offend you. :D

I have a mate who named his boat  "wombat",
Waste Of Money Bait And Tackle.

Another meaning may suite a young bloke out enjoying the social party life, :wink: but I dont think I can say it here in case I offend others.
Thanks,
Beebloke.

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
Greenville, SC
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 09:58:25 am »
BeeBloke...

Funny story, but I don't know when it really originated to be honest. I've been called wombat for as long as I can remember. As many people call me that up here as they do my real name. Plus, I just love the danged little creatures...even if they are a menace to you guys in australia by digging burrows for livestock to fall into and by constantly banging up your cars...

I wasn't aware of the slang for "a wombat" in australia, though. Maybe you could enlighten me (I won't be offended).

But its true... I'll be the first to confess that I love a good party.

peace
wombat
-St. Philo of Alexandria

anything