Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Cincinnati  (Read 2065 times)

Offline winginit

• House Bee
Hello from Cincinnati
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:20:33 am »
Just started beekeeping this year. Recieved one package in early April, did everything wrong on installation. Queen lived just long enough to lay a few eggs, now have a supersedure queen. Lots of larvae, none capped when last I looked, so I don't know if she mated successfully.

Just received a second package this week. I started the second package on foundationless frames. Feeding everyone often and desperately hoping for at least one package to make it until next year. Even better if both could survive.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello from Cincinnati
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:52:55 pm »
welcome to beekeeping  :-)

read about combining hives.  you can do a search.  even if you don't end up with a queen in the 1st hive, you can save the bees and strengthen the 2nd.  make sure you have given the new queen a couple of weeks to get going.  try to check only once a week or so.  the less you disturb her, the better.  if, after a couple or three weeks past her probably mating time, you do not see eggs, you will probably either want to combine hives or consider ordering a new queen.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:00:13 pm »
Thanks for your reply Kathy. I have a queen in the first hive, she is laying like mad, and I think she mated (doesn't look like drone brood). But they only have four frames drawn out; there just weren't enough bees to draw out more. At this point, she has filled in those four frames nicely tho.

On second hive (foundationless) installed May 26, I just opened up enough to feed, waiting until Monday to check the queen. I could see some comb from the top, but really can't tell much. Also, i worked hard to get that hive level, and it's so not level now. Sigh. I barely fed thymol, it mostly leaked, but there's no sign of nosema so I skipped it for second feeding. My goal was to get them started out with a nosema feeding and some honey-b-healthy, and then go natural. But as I thought about it, I realized that you can't get an even treatment into every bee. Some bees will get a lot and some will get a little.

I will read up on combining hives. I hope to not have to do that, but I'll do what I have to do.

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:29:56 am »
Hi Winginit...I'm in Cincinnati, too! This is my second year with bees...I now have three colonies. I'm in Indian Hill. You're more than welcome to come visit me and we can learn from one another.

Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline pondman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 06:22:57 pm »
Hi Winginit

Welcome to the forum. Hope both your hive make it. An the best of luck with beekeeping.
Pondman

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 08:24:06 pm »
Thanks Pondman, I'll need all the luck I can get!

Hi Liz, glad to see another new beekeeper from Cincinnati. Let's talk bees.

anything