Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: nucleus  (Read 1597 times)

Offline colbees

• House Bee
nucleus
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:42:11 pm »
can someone explain what a nucleus is. can you have a full size colony in one, or do you have to transfer them after it gets so big.
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay; A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon; A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: nucleus
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:59:52 pm »
A nuc is a beginning hive. 2 to 7 frames. All hives have to have space added to the point that they are never totally full. Even if you have 3 or 4 full deeps and they have more nectar coming in, they need another.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 01:07:54 am »
A nucleus is the center of an atom.  It contains protons and neutrons; except for Hydrogen which just contains a proton.

Or listen to what iddee said  :)

Nucs are used to start new colonies, that's their main function.  You start said new colony with a few frames of brood from a full sized hive and let them get established (raise a queen) in a nuc box before moving them to a bigger box.

Offline colbees

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:40:13 am »
can you harvest honey out of a nuc and keep the bees just in there without tranfering them into a bigger hive if you add boxes as needed
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay; A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon; A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:35:04 am »
can you harvest honey out of a nuc and keep the bees just in there without tranfering them into a bigger hive if you add boxes as needed

You can if you like but it is more practical to put them in a full size set up. Four deep nucs set atop each other would equate to two deeps. easier to manipulate two deeps than four nucs and then from there where will you go? 6 nucs atop each other, 8? By then you have a stack of narrow boxes that could easily tip over.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:53:08 pm »
can someone explain what a nucleus is.
Nucs and splits are the same thing,but generally terms used to describe their purpose. Splits are made to increase your colonies from your bees. Nucs are purchased from someone else and they make them to sell at a profit.Most nuc you find for sell in New England are 5 frames deeps

can you have a full size colony in one

IMHO No you can not you only got 5 frames of deeps  

do you have to transfer them after it gets so big.

Yes if you buy a good one over a week old or so.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:50:32 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 05:35:09 pm »
In New York, you need approx. 20 frames covered in bees and 12 to 15 of them full of honey and pollen for the hive to live through the winter. Any honey after that, you can harvest. As JP said, to stack nucs that high would be impractical, and would be impossible for a colony to heat during a NY winter. In your area, 2 10 frame deeps and 1 or 2 medium supers is the best setup for a new beekeeper to have honey for harvesting and bees alive in the spring.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*