Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tasmanina Tiger AKA Thylacine spotted!  (Read 6852 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Tasmanina Tiger AKA Thylacine spotted!
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:15:31 am »
Ok well he last one died in captivity they say in 1936. But now they are on the mainland!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,27574,25255734-2862,00.html

There was a bloke on the radio today that swears he saw one up the alpine scrub whilst riding his bike. They dont hear a bicycle or a bushwalker.

It would be nice if they were about, but if it was proven, they would be hunted and shot, there would be no way to protect them, so I kinda hope no one really finds one.

Here is the last video footage taken http://www.moviecritic.com.au/tasmanian-tiger-video-footage/ ....cop that jaw!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Tasmanina Tiger AKA Thylacine spotted!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:11:12 am »
Would love to see them make a come back Mick!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:24:22 pm »
Ive seen that video and some others before, and until now, I thought they looked more like dogs than cats....But, They doo look like a cat sort of too!
your friend,
john

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:49:17 pm »
i did a lecture on the T. tiger and all your marsupials while doing my master's degree in biology.  i hope they are still around.  You would have to have a small population to keep the species going though.  i can't remember the life span of the T. tiger but its shorter than wolves i believe, so they may only live 10-15 years in the wild.  need a small population to keep that going.  so the odds are low.  for those who are not familiar with Australian mammals, they are all marsupials except the dingo and any other crap Europeans brought over: rabbits, foxes, cats, etc.  mick can make sure I'm right on that?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:01:54 pm »
We have our Sasquatch so why can't the Aussie's have their Tassie Tigers? 

aka Urban Legends.  I like the kind that have at least a 50% probability factor. 

But then just think of what a jet plane would have seemed like in Shakespeare's Time......Hark, I hear a Sonic Boom coming from yonder window breaks (crashing sound off stage left)....  T'is Flatulent Florence if I not be mistook...   :lau: :lau: :pinkelephant:
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 05:24:55 am »
i did a lecture on the T. tiger and all your marsupials while doing my master's degree in biology.  i hope they are still around.  You would have to have a small population to keep the species going though.  i can't remember the life span of the T. tiger but its shorter than wolves i believe, so they may only live 10-15 years in the wild.  need a small population to keep that going.  so the odds are low.  for those who are not familiar with Australian mammals, they are all marsupials except the dingo and any other crap Europeans brought over: rabbits, foxes, cats, etc.  mick can make sure I'm right on that?

Well aint you full of surprises! Yer our Marsupials are amazing, we have killed off more of them than I can count. Farming, introduced predators etc.

I think they are all Ms as you have said. Pouches etc. They are amazing, as you know, can turn their reproductive systems on and off according to the seasons. Its interesting from a masters point of view this pouch thing. To me this evolved to make em mobile, a lesser risk of predators, none of this nest crap, danger comes, the family is off, lock stock and barrell.

Where I live, one in three backyards will have a fox in it. Theres untold millions of em, most no bigger than a cat. People might see one a week if they get up early. So who knows whats sneaking around out there. Some Foxes with mange could be mistaken for a TT IMO.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:10:14 am »
I could see how a mangey fox would look a lot like a T. tiger, with their skinny legs and hairless tail.  That's a good observation.   You just live in a really neat place.  I would be an outback camping fool if I lived there.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

anything