Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Root Knot Nematodes  (Read 3952 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Root Knot Nematodes
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:41:38 pm »
There are good nematodes and then there's root knot nematodes(RNT). About this time of year in central Alabama you should look over your garden. Here's how I knew where to look in my garden. Looking at my garden last year I noticed that the corn and okra was pretty tall and pumping out some groceries. On the same row it is like the family tree for both of them started spitting out short children. So I go to the okra/corn/peppers or what ever and start pulling up the plants. Looking at the roots I notice little round balls (knots) all over them. The yield of these infected plants are reduced by at least 70 percent or more.

RNT are microscopic. They enter a plant through the roots and there they rob the host plant from receiving the things it needs to be healthy. Much like parasites in animals. One of the ways a garden can get infected is when you buy plants and put in there. They could be in the soil of that plant. I started noticing this problem about 3 or 4 years ago. I knew if I ever got to the place where I relied on my garden for a food source we would be in a hurt. This is the year we chose to address the problem.

HOW TO CURE;

From what I came up with there are three methods to rid one's garden of this parasite.

SOLARIZATION; Take plastic and cover the area for at least 6 weeks when the temperatures are at least 90 degrees with direct sunlight a large part of the day. This will superheat the soil. For me - not feasible.

MUSTARD PLANTS: Plant your garden in mustard $$$ When the temperature warms up in the spring turn the mustard plants under and let them decompose. This method is supposed to release some toxins into the soil that are fatal to  nematodes - both good and bad.

STARVE THEM: This is almost a no brainer. This method is applied simply by not planting anything for a year. When you see grass starting to come up take the tractor and turn it under. I've seen cotton farmers do it around here when I was growing up.

I have applied the last two. This winter I had mustard and this summer I didn't plant anything. I'll try to give yall an update about this time next year if I'm still around and all is functional.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Norman365

• New Bee
Re: Root Knot Nematodes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:19:24 am »
There are good nematodes and then there's root knot nematodes(RNT). About this time of year in central Alabama you should look over your garden. Here's how I knew where to look in my garden. Looking at my garden last year I noticed that the corn and okra was pretty tall and pumping out some groceries. On the same row it is like the family tree for both of them started spitting out short children. So I go to the okra/corn/peppers or what ever and start pulling up the plants. Looking at the roots I notice little round balls (knots) all over them. The yield of these infected plants are reduced by at least 70 percent or more.

RNT are microscopic. They enter a plant through the roots and there they rob the host plant from receiving the things it needs to be healthy. Much like parasites in animals. One of the ways a garden can get infected is when you buy plants and put in there. They could be in the soil of that plant. I started noticing this problem about 3 or 4 years ago. I knew if I ever got to the place where I relied on my garden for a food source we would be in a hurt. This is the year we chose to address the problem.

HOW TO CURE;

From what I came up with there are three methods to rid one's garden of this parasite.

SOLARIZATION; Take plastic and cover the area for at least 6 weeks when the temperatures are at least 90 degrees with direct sunlight a large part of the day. This will superheat the soil. For me - not feasible.

MUSTARD PLANTS: Plant your garden in mustard $$$ When the temperature warms up in the spring turn the mustard plants under and let them decompose. This method is supposed to release some toxins into the soil that are fatal to  nematodes - both good and bad.

STARVE THEM: This is almost a no brainer. This method is applied simply by not planting anything for a year. When you see grass starting to come up take the tractor and turn it under. I've seen cotton farmers do it around here when I was growing up.

I have applied the last two. This winter I had mustard and this summer I didn't plant anything. I'll try to give yall an update about this time next year if I'm still around and all is functional.

Thanks dude.Very helpful and very well explained by you

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 07:11:47 pm »
So far so good. I have yet to see any evidence of root knot nematodes. The growing season is around half way or better for most of the stuff in my garden. I'll give yall an update when the harvest is over and I pull up several plants to check the roots.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:09:54 am »
4th way...plant mushroom mycelium by your plants/in your garden.

http://youtu.be/0n04wCkIpuQ

http://youtu.be/14zmmbXsyuM

http://youtu.be/d-e45-Qt3lY
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:24:01 am by Better.to.Bee.than.not »

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 03:45:54 pm »
Well here's the update I promised.

Well it's not so good. Two years ago I had at least a 35% infection. After skipping a year and not planting anything I now have maybe a 5 to 10 percent infection. Mainly in the sandy soil area. My garden is red clay, loam, and sandy soil. They aren't hardly found in the red clay area, and some in the loam, but they are heavy in the sandy area.

Better to Bee; I may have to give that a try. The plants they hit the hardest this time are the okra and snap beans. They didn't bother the purple hull or the corn. I have some peppers, squash, and zucchini,  planted in the sandy area as well. I'll soon pull those up to check and will report back. Another thing I'm doing this year is as soon as the row plays out I'm plowing it up. I figure that's doing away with the food source.