Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: too hot for me  (Read 8778 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
too hot for me
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 04:53:07 am »
Old beekeeper's adage: Hot weather, Hot Bees.  
The crankiness comes from the fact that the bees have switched modes.  They are now in a pre-winter mode where they want to maximize stores and remove excess or useless mouths.  Now is when you should start seeing drone kill off and a gradual reduction in the amount of brood being reared.  The brood chambers will shrink in size and be filled in with honey.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
too hot for me
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 06:44:04 am »
some people use artificial light to fool chickens into thinking that the day length hasnt shortened thereby getting them to continue laying. i dont reckon this would work with bees......

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
too hot for me
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 02:03:48 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
too hot for me
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2006, 02:32:17 am »
>>some people use artificial light to fool chickens into thinking that the day length hasnt shortened thereby getting them to continue laying. i dont reckon this would work with bees......

No once their outside the hive the lights go out.  I wonder if a miniturized miners helmet would work?  Or would they then be called Fireflys?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline ConfedMarine

• New Bee
too hot for me
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 09:02:04 am »
Your scenario sounds like the one I had while trying to place a wet super back on a hive. This hive normally has a very good disposition. The other two hives were their normal selves while placing wet supers. I am going to wait another week or so and attempt an inspection.
It is not what you think you are, but what you think, you are.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
too hot for me
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 09:42:02 am »
i hope its only coincidence that we both live in VA. my 'encounter' was one week ago today and i am also going to wait another week before attempting another. hopefully by then it will be cooler...the weather and the hive.

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
too hot for me
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 10:44:19 pm »
Everything I have read says to requeen in your situation. Is your queen marked?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
too hot for me
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 02:18:46 am »
Requeening does not cure proddiness due to weather conditions.  Hot muggy weather makes bees proddy.  Increased ion in the atmosphere prior to a thunder or electrical storm does the same thing.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
too hot for me
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 07:16:23 am »
ruben-yes my queen as originally installed is marked. the next time i tear apart that hive i will try to find her.