Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: %$#& Yellow Jackets!  (Read 3998 times)

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
%$#& Yellow Jackets!
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:59:04 am »
I have a small orchard ( 50 trees). When ever I have a good crop of fruit- the yellow jackets come. Then its a constant battle with my bees. The yellow jackets appear to be winning once again. I've close up all the openings but one on each hive. The beasts are all over my hives. What else should I do?

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: %$#& Yellow Jackets!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 11:06:08 am »
You could screen your hives shut for a day, and put out big yellow jacket traps. There is a mason jar trap that you could make a bunch of to catch these little........

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:29:35 am »
just remember to bait your traps with something that won't attract the bees.  i have the same problem with my fruit trees.  those buggers are thick on the fallen fruit.....i have not seen a problem around my hives, but they are a distance away.

i have found bacon or cat food to be a good bait for the yellowjackets and those nasty giant wasp things.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:07:19 am »
Yellow jackets like protien and BOLOGNA is a good bait for you traps!
John 3:16

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 09:37:03 am »
I like Dallas's suggestion of closing the hives and putting out traps for the yellowjackets. If they are drawn to the honey in your hives then they will go to sweet baited traps. Also, this may be a shot in the dark, but see if you can locate any of their nests, by following them. You could even catch one, and carefully attach a feather or light string to it to aid you in seeing where it goes, then before light, night or early morning, kill them.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything