Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: caught swarm, need opinions  (Read 1181 times)

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
caught swarm, need opinions
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:00:02 pm »
Here's the deal. I hung three swarm traps. I hadn;t checked them in about two weeks. Tonight I went out to check them. Two empty, but number three was occupied. at leastthat would be my assumption, sincethere are four combs hanging on the bottom of the trap. Now I need toget it down and transferedto a deep brood box. i;m thinking I tape close the entrance, and lower it down into an empty trap to protect the exposed comb. Then transfer the frames from within and cut out the hanging comb, Sound good? other opinions?
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
Re: caught swarm, need opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:32:58 am »
Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 01:58:51 am »
Sounds like a plan to me also.  Good luck.

Joe

Offline cinch123

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:02:51 am »
I had a very similar find two weeks ago. The homeowner where one of my traps is located called to let me know a swarm was moving in. Good, I thought, I'll let them set up shop inside for a couple days and come get them the following Monday after work. Something told me I shouldn't wait, so I went up there the next day, only to find the bees clustered on the outside of the trap. I tried to shake them off into a Nuc but found that they had drawn comb on the outside of the box and ignored the inside frames completely! I ended up shaking them into a trashcan, and dumping the trashcan of bees into a new hive, and discarding the small amount of comb they had produced. I have checked on them once since then and they are doing great.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:52:25 am »
Here it is!  Where are the pictures?
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:38:54 pm »
working on it. working on it. I've got a pic of it hanging from the swarm trap. but no one was brave enough to take pics while I cut the comb loose and wired it into the frames.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

anything