Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive configuration question  (Read 2982 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Hive configuration question
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:15:15 pm »
I got three nucs last Thursday night and installed all three of them a week ago on Friday.  Today, one week later. in the two hives where I saw the queen, action is happening - new eggs, brood, lots of pollen drawing out comb.  In the third hive where I didn't see the queen and where the bees seemed quite angry on Thursday night when I took the front off of the nuc, there is nothing happening.  The bood is all capped and old.  In the other cells there is nectar and pollen but not any evidence of larvae or eggs or new capped brood.  I think there is no queen.

Should I get back in contact with the seller?  After all I apid $68 for what was supposed to be a four frame nuc with a good queen? 

However, I have a good swarm hive with a good queen - I could just combine these two hives.

Or someone just called me about a swarm - I could go get it and add it to the nuc hive that appears not to be a queen.

What would you do?

Linda T confused in Atlanta

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Hive configuration question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 05:21:38 pm »
Should I get back in contact with the seller?  After all I apid $68 for what was supposed to be a four frame nuc with a good queen?

You can try but I think it's too late. They usually want to know about such a thing within 24 hours. 

If there are no eggs, add a frame from another hive that you like and you should be set in about a month.  Don't mess with them after you verify there is a queen cell and before the queen has had plenty of time to finish her mating flights.  Should take about a month, like I said.

However, I have a good swarm hive with a good queen - I could just combine these two hives.

Nah...too early in the year and there is still hope. 
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 05:40:48 pm »
that's what i'd do.  add a frame of eggs and young larvae and let them make their own queen.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:53:27 pm »
I thought that is what I should do.  I'll look for a frame of eggs and larvae tomorrow.

Linda T

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 06:38:20 pm »
If there are no eggs, add a frame from another hive that you like and you should be set in about a month.  Don't mess with them after you verify there is a queen cell and before the queen has had plenty of time to finish her mating flights.  Should take about a month, like I said.

While I am thinking of it and before Mr. Bush posts it ;-) ...this is from his site.

Queen   3½ days  8 days +-1   16 days +-1  Laying        28 days +-5

Also to clarify: 
Nah...too early in the year
  By this I mean there is plenty of time for the queen to be raised and the hive to get into shape before winter.

There...now I feel better.  Good luck Tillie.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:56:44 pm »
The reason I asked about combining with the swarm that does appear to have a good queen is that I now have seven hives - that's a lot for an urban backyard.  If there's no new brood/larvae/eggs after a week, isn't it reasonable to assume the nuc had no queen? 

So to combine a queenless nuc hive with a good swarm hive might be the ticket rather than trying to foster a new queen.  although I know I could add a frame of brood and eggs and just wait and see.....

Linda T still undecided in Atlanta (and it's going to rain tomorrow so I can't make a move until Sunday afternoon anyway.)

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:13:29 pm »
I would contact the seller. He/she may just offer you another queen.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 10:35:00 am »
The reason I asked about combining with the swarm that does appear to have a good queen is that I now have seven hives - that's a lot for an urban backyard.  If there's no new brood/larvae/eggs after a week, isn't it reasonable to assume the nuc had no queen? 

So to combine a queenless nuc hive with a good swarm hive might be the ticket rather than trying to foster a new queen.  although I know I could add a frame of brood and eggs and just wait and see.....

Linda T still undecided in Atlanta (and it's going to rain tomorrow so I can't make a move until Sunday afternoon anyway.)

Linda, could be a couple of things, a vrgin queen, a dud, or no queen. Since its just four frames, I would go in and thoroughly look for the queen.

If no queen, a combine is cool, its your call, you know your needs better than anyone.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 02:59:35 pm »
I would always contact the seller.  They may or may not do anything, but most would like to have the chance to make things right if they think they might be at fault.  You can't keep customers if you don't  know what's going wrong.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 04:33:07 pm »
I called the seller.  I told him that I had checked the hive yesterday and there was no new brood, no eggs, etc.  I told him I went back today because I didn't want to call him without being absolutely sure that there was no queen.  Today I checked each of the frames of the hive to find a queen and didn't see her anywhere.  I also told him there are lots of cleaned-out cells, but not a single egg or small larvae - no activity since I installed them last Friday.  I also told him both of the other nuc hives I got from him at the same time are thriving - one already has a second box.

He said he would get me a queen and mail her to me.  I only live 30 minutes from him, so I said if he called me, I'd come and get her. 

Before I called him while I was inspecting I added to this queenless hive a frame of brood and eggs from another hive so one way or the other, they'll end up with a queen.

So all things are good. 

Thanks, everyone, for the help and input.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 04:33:47 pm »
Isn't it a hoot that the post above about a queenless hive put me over 1000 posts and I became "queen bee" as a label - now if I could only transfer THAT to my hive!!!

Linda T laughing in Atlanta

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »
He said he would get me a queen and mail her to me.  I only live 30 minutes from him, so I said if he called me, I'd come and get her.

Sweet!!!

Isn't it a hoot that the post above about a queenless hive put me over 1000 posts and I became "queen bee" as a label - now if I could only transfer THAT to my hive!!!

Thanks for sharing all your experiences, Queen Bee ;-)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 11:22:49 am »
If you were shipped a virgin queen with the package there is the possibility that the frame of brood will entice her to begin laying as she would have had to have mated after package installation.  I would reinspect the hive before installing the queen from the supplier just incase.  Wouldn't be the first time a virgin queen was shipped in error.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything