Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: CCD related to AHB?  (Read 16391 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Re: CCD related to AHB?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 03:03:54 am »
Hopefully this link works, probably not.  Google books - The world history of beekeeping and honey hunting page 375.  Notice the part about increased bee mortality claims from posable genetic contaimination.  Hmmmmmm.  LOL.  Maybe this has happend before.  I have read about these bees even before this stuff on the east coast.  Maybe late 1800s or early 1900s.   

http://books.google.com/books?id=ANTSvKj1AZEC&pg=PA375&lpg=PA375&dq=experiments+with+african+honey+bee+in+the+united+states+1960&source=bl&ots=I9RI1tHCgm&sig=_vif1tpln6tdQxL5alZ_jSJ2Xsc&hl=en&ei=9OGyS4mYLp2KNey-jfcD&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=experiments%20with%20african%20honey%20bee%20in%20the%20united%20states%201960&f=false

Oh yeah.  Look at this.  http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/bees/ahb.htm

Why on earth do these dang things stay where they belong in Africa and spread like disease here.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 07:24:56 pm »
Then I look at it this way. If this was going on before the African bees were used in Brazil, I guess some one says we need to C.O.A.
Let the Brazil indecent  take the blame for the Hybrids. :)doak

Offline jcullen24

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 06:37:45 pm »
Hey everybody, long time no see.  I'm pretty sure everyone was doing studies on Bee Hybirdization back then, but I'll stick with the orthodox history.

The Africanized honey bee in the western hemisphere descended from 26 Tanzanian queen bees (A. m. scutellata) accidentally released by a replacement bee-keeper in 1957 near Uberlândia, Minas Gerais State in the southeast of Brazil from hives operated by biologist Warwick E. Kerr, who had interbred honey bees from Europe and southern Africa. Hives containing these particular queens were noted to be especially defensive. Kerr was attempting to breed a strain of bees that would produce more honey and be better adapted to tropical conditions (i.e., more productive) than the European bees used in South America and southern North America. The hives from which the bees were released had special excluder grates, which were in place to prevent the larger queen bees and drones from getting out and mating with local (non-African) queens and drones. Unfortunately, following the accidental release, the African queens and drones mated with local queens and drones, and their descendants have since spread throughout the Americas.

A pleasent surprise that my ID still works!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 01:03:14 pm »
O.K. Here it is. Can't give a link or post from the book.
In the 32end edition of ABC-XYZ of Bee keeping, copyright 1962, there is some print on Artificial Insemination. U of Cal  and a couple others.
The article isn't under the A's it is in (Breeding Stock) "B".

No mention of Mississippi. :)doak 

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 03:03:03 pm »
I have read about experimenting with them on the east coast as well, cant rememver when but seem like late 1800's  if memory serve me.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

anything