Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about adding a super??????  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Mike R.

• New Bee
Question about adding a super??????
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:25:11 am »
Guys I'm new to the site and just got into beekeeping. I recently purchased a hive from an apairy that was selling everything. Got hive with 2 brood boxs and a shallow super. I live in Mississippi, got the hive to the house and set up. The hive is in excellent shape. Both brood boxs look good and the super is full. I was told don't take the super off as it is left for the bees this winter to eat on. My ? is Can I add another super to it? and If so. Do I put the empty super under the full super or vise versa I was also told that there was no need in using a queen excluder cause the queen will not go over capped honey??? :-\ :-\ How true is this??  :-\ :-\

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Question about adding a super??????
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:30:06 am »
In Mississippi, two brood boxes is more than enough without the super for winter. You can take that super if you want.

You can add 1, 2, 3, or however many supers they can fill. One at a time as they fill them, if using foundation. Putting the new super on top is what most beeks do. A few put it under. Both ways work.

I never use excluders.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:34:48 am »
Iddee knows a few things about bees ( :devilbanana: ), he gave you some good advice. Please update your profile with your location so we know what part of Ms you reside in. Knowing your specific area can help us help you better.

Welcome to beemaster!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Mike R.

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:35:35 am »
Thanks iddee, I will go ahead and put another super on then :-D :-D Got another ? How hard would it be to take brood frames with some bees and introduce them to another queen if I decided to purchase another queen? Will they kill her and how hard is it to start another hive by doing this???? :-D :-D :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:41:33 am »
Its not hard at all. Where in Ms?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Mike R.

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:57:50 am »
I'm from Madison, Ms. Born and raised :-D :-D :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 05:53:48 pm »
I'm somewhat familiar with Madison, you're just north of Jackson, pretty country and big deer. We have property in Brookhaven, you get more cold than we do, but we got more snow than you did this year! :-D

...JP

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 06:07:05 pm »
You can make a splits fairly easy with brood but with the dry weather I would not do one this late in the season. Let them make you some honey this fall when the gorden rod comes on and then make your splits early next spring.  Oh and by the way,,,,, howdy neighbor,,,Brandon MS here, did you get your hives from Pennington?
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike R.

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 11:29:14 am »
Hey beefarmer we need to get together help each other out with some bees!!!!Looking for a bee buddy....No I got mine from Mr. Russel over in Bolton.....All he has is Itailian bees, He is looking to get out of the business. Give him a call and go over there and get you a hive or two.....Email me your # if you need some help.....

anything