Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: LAP TOP INTERNET CONNECTION - DIED  (Read 6797 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
LAP TOP INTERNET CONNECTION - DIED
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:28:47 pm »
I accidently found I had a kill switch on the front of my laptop, while moving it, I went into the kill LAN mode and came up multiple error messaqes. At work I tried to just boot it up, see if anything changed and found the kill switch, the LAN ON bubble changed, but when I got home, booted the computer, the LAN ON did come up (it read disabled) but stop 3 or so tricky message boxes I never saw before - so I sit here on my desktop, totally aggrivated. Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Here are the error messages.

Also, I have notice for 3 days prior that I'd get the check your virus protection, and 2 out of three times McAfee said I wasn't fully protected but when I hit the protect me, it turned to an okay green light and seemed fine. Here are the fault messages.

* Windows
failed to connect to Windows Service

* Windows could not connect to system event notification, for loggin onsystem as Administrative user, you can review the system event log for details about why the service didn't respond

* WSASTARTUP()
failed or incorrect of Winsock installed

* CANNOT START HP Socket INIT. Failed.

* Host process for Windows Services was Closed

* To help protect your computer DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION has closed HOST PROCESS for Windows Services.

I know, a mess of messages. Anyone know why simple shutting of the LAN/WAN shut-off button on the Laptop would do all this? And especially how to recover normal operations?

Just FWI - after the button at work, coming home trying it - all the same messages occured except it showed that it was picking up the router signal - it showed on. How could locking down Internet connect do all this crap, that button is there (a slide switch actually) I never noticed it and accidently slide it to LAN off as I moved it - ugh.

Any help, thanks.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:02:35 am by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline deantn

• House Bee
Re: LAP TOP INTERNET CONNECTION - DIED
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:08:43 am »
Not sure this will help but , Start then look for "Network Connections", open  that and see if disabled there by right click your connection, if it is disabled just click enable and that should fix it.
Hope it works for you as you have enough problems as it is.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 05:18:34 pm »
So goooooood to get home after 16 hours work, 11pm to 3pm today - ugh.

To answer and better inform, when I had the LAN switch OFF (remember accidently hit it, never knew it was even there) I DID SEE the other connections in the network screen, just couldn't get it to connect to them as I have used this before :) but when I switched the LAN back to ON and booted, I got all the same messages, except NOW it shows NO NETWORK CONNECTIONS FOUND?????

I'm really bummed here, I honestly was hoping some techies would have jumped in on this one :(

I miss my laptop, all I can do now is watch movies on it really, without the net, computers don't do much today!

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:49:46 pm »
Sounds like you deleted all your network connections somehow.
Try to add a network connection with the wizard in XP.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 08:38:13 pm »
Somehow (probably cause I hate it) I forgot to mention my laptop was a Vista machine. I think this would have been a no brainer in XP - which I have here on the desktop.

I'm getting on ventrilo chat soon here, got a few techies that can walk me through a few steps I hope. Sounds like DESTRUCTIVE RECOVERY TIME, wouldn't be my first time either. The tough part is getting Norton Demo out and McAfee (included with Comcast) which I'll take any day. I see a service pack update if I Destructive Recover too - double ugh.

I'll keep posting, still looking for a definitive answer, but I get no responce with Windows Help, when in HP Help, I just get run arounds to the same three or four programs that do nothing to help. Man, Vista stinks for us casual PCers, no wonder my humble amount of Microsoft Stock has tanksed into the teens, but then again - I was on a real streak with that, buying SIRIUS RADIO and FORD - lol, shoot me.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Re: LAP TOP INTERNET CONNECTION - RESTORED
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 10:12:33 pm »
I'm on the laptop now - finally. I went through everything in BIOS, nothing there helped. I was ready for a DESTRUCTIVE RECOVERY "BUT" it wouldn't let me, said all necessay files not available for recovery.
so, I tried sytem restore, this time I found a drop down window in the BIOS section which gave me more restore dates - it worked after restoring at a Windows Update Point.

Then, boom Internet, most messages gone, only a "Your computer is not fully protected" so I reinstalled McAfee Suite completely, rebooted and BANG, no error messages, quicker booting up and life is good.

Still, all this cause of a button that SUPPOSE to protect my LAN by shutting it down when needed - go figure.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 01:13:56 pm »
Well good at least you got it fixed. I tried everything on my laptop that you had suggested and nothing. I was able to get windows reinstalled but when I go to shut down the computer it wont, it gives me the same error "dumping physical memory." The computer reboots and goes back into windows. So I think Ill just give the laptop to the kids and continue on with life. It is old and probably wants to retire.

anything