Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first swarm  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
My first swarm
« on: May 15, 2010, 10:32:14 pm »
My bees swarm Wed. and I checked on them today. There was a queen cell with the cap hanging open. I thought I saw a queen but I'm not sure. I notice at the watering hole I don't see any bees. There used to be 10 or so there all the time. Now I see none or maybe 1. Is this normal after a swarm or should I be worry. Thanks
Bobby

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: My first swarm
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:18:41 pm »
you got to remember up to 70 percent of your hive left with the swarm most of them being field bees. if you found a queen cell that was open look at the other queen cells if they have a hole chewed in the side of the cell its a pretty sure bet you have a newly emerged queen. as for gathering water there are a lot of variables. they may not need the water at the time they may have found another source for the water or the weather wasnt right for bees to bee flying is just some of the things it could be. I would wait  2 to 3 weeks and check the hive to see if you have a laying queen it takes that long for a new queen to start laying after a swarm has issued. hope this helps
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

anything