Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ? about beevac power source  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
? about beevac power source
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:34:31 am »
thinking that a vac would have made these last two swarms much easier if i could have sucked some of those bees out of the cracks i couldn't reach.  guess it's time to suck it up and build one.
what abut a power source?  anything that i can hook to the truck battery or something?  i have a smaller generator, but seems like a PIA to haul that around.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: ? about beevac power source
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:41:26 am »
thinking that a vac would have made these last two swarms much easier if i could have sucked some of those bees out of the cracks i couldn't reach.  guess it's time to suck it up and build one.
what abut a power source?  anything that i can hook to the truck battery or something?  i have a smaller generator, but seems like a PIA to haul that around.

I'm always bringing 2 very long power-cords which works for many/most scenarios. I usually ask about power, etc. We're thinking through getting a converter for the truck to hook up to?
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:00:21 pm »
i would have needed about 20 acres of power cord for these last two.  also don't think the battery would have enough power??  i always have a battery around that i can use, but the more i think about it.......
the generator is not undo-able.  it's a small Honda and i take it camping sometimes. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:01:32 pm »
i would have needed about 20 acres of power cord for these last two.  also don't think the battery would have enough power??  i always have a battery around that i can use, but the more i think about it.......
the generator is not undo-able.  it's a small Honda and i take it camping sometimes. 

Generator would be good. Just set it right next to the swarm and crank it up.....  :evil:

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 01:34:43 pm »
I have a small power convertor that hooks to the battery of my truck, just in case. I haven't had a need to use it yet. I think it was from Tractor Supply. It just clips on like jumper cables and has an outlet on the side to plug in what you want to use.
Joe S.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 02:16:25 pm »
I carry a little 800w generator for a lot of removals. It's light enough to carry with one hand and has enough power to run a sawzall or circular saw as well.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 02:18:29 pm »
Thx for info, Scott and Joe!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:43:32 pm »
It will take a 1200 watt or greater converter to run a 2 1/2 HP shop vac. My 1100 watt will run it once it winds up, but doesn't have enough power to get it going. I have to turn it on and off several times until it gets the rpm up, then it runs fine.
My 1800 watt generator does a good job.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 04:21:13 pm »
I have a small power convertor that hooks to the battery of my truck, just in case. I haven't had a need to use it yet. I think it was from Tractor Supply. It just clips on like jumper cables and has an outlet on the side to plug in what you want to use.

I picked up a 1200W inverter at Sam's for something like $30, plugs right into the lighter outlet. - running the car while in use wouldnt be a bad idea, but you don't need a billion miles of cord. over 100' of 12 gauge would be a bad idea, and using 10 gauge to go farther wouldn't be cost effective - at all

To find the watt requirement for your vac, look on the nameplate, where it says amps, multiply that by 120 (volts), add 20% to be safe and that's answer in watts + 20% and  the size inverter you should get. not too pricey and not too much cord to drag out.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 04:59:01 pm »
I have a 18 volt rigid brand vac from Home Depot.   I get about 20 min or so run time on each battery.   I keep 4 batteries on charge for that vac just in case.  No cords.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 05:03:50 pm »
The Walter T Kelley vac which I have runs off of a 750 watt inverter they recommend using. I have a 750 watt inverter I hook to the battery.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 10:43:33 pm »
I use a small generator that I leave on the back of the truck during the heavy part of swarm season. I let it run in the truck and use an extension cord if needed. My friend uses an inverter. If you don't leave the truck running, you risk the chance of killing your battery. It happened to us ONCE.

I just bought a small generator (800 / 900 watts) from Harbor Freight for $79.00. I am not sure if it will power my 1.5 HP bee vac. I have not had the time to try it.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything