Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What I go through to get bees  (Read 14731 times)

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
Re: What I go through to get bees
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2007, 12:26:58 pm »
Hey,

N.P. Actually was a good lesson as some video sites I had same prob. and now I know how to work around

Hey Jerrymac: it works well then .... eh?

cheers

peter

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2007, 12:51:11 pm »
I finished the cut out. I did not get the queen. But I am leaving the hive on the stand. All the come and most of the bees are in there. They may abscond but I hope they will move her the five feet to the new box.

I will post the other pictures when I am out of the airport. They block port 21(ftp).

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2007, 01:19:49 am »
I fed a lot of christians to the lions in my previous life.

I am in Salt Lake. As soon as I am settled my wife calls me and says there is no internet at the house. So I try to access my server. No can do. We do all the standard stuff about reseting the modem and I have her check settings on the computer. No go. The lights on the modem aren't giving me the correct signals either.

So I am in SLC on the phone with Ma Bell and my wife is on my cell phone with me. We go through the standard crap with Ma Bell. I ask for a line check. They do it and can't synch with the modem. So I either have a bad modem or a bad line. I had the modem replaced last year so this should not be the problem.

As it stands right now the server cannot be accessed. So I can't upload my pictures to my server. Nor can I send them to the file server for my backup. I will probably toss them to image shack tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2007, 09:25:03 am »
Hey Cindi,

I've got it. You have to disable the pop-up blocker.

In Firefox go to top menu bar and drop down the menu from 'Firefox' and select 'Preferences' and select 'Content' and uncheck the pop-up blocker

Remember to reinstate it when you are done.

Not sure why? Perhaps he loaded them on not using the Image Shack??

I dunno

cheers

peter

Peter, meant to make comment.  I must have a different top menu bar than you.  I tried to find the Preferences, but couldn't.  Where I found the popup blocker was in the Tools, down to "options" and that is where I found the "Content" where the popup blocker was.  Wonder why things are different.  Have a great and wonderful day.  Cindi

Edit, well, it didn't work anyways, I disabled the popup thing and I still couldn't see the images in that particular post.  C.  But I see them in the new post Brendon made.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2007, 09:28:37 am »
Brendhan, I am glad that you put the images onto Imageshack, because those pictures you took were worth viewing, something else eh?  Beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2008, 09:55:25 pm »
Well time for a follow up.

Some of you could not see the images. I had a DNS failure with bellsouth and did not realize. Because of the way my /etc/hosts file is configured I could still see them and so could some of the people I chat with in the UK. So I didn't realize there was a problem until later on.

I have part of my DNS back. I am still not getting a response on DNS server #2 and #3 but I am working on those.

In the meantime you should be able to see the images.

The pictures from the cut out:

And now for the rest of the story.
I went and did the cut out the week before christmas. Everything went pretty well. As with many of my cut outs I did not actually see the queen. I had the bees in the box and I wanted to leave the box there until I got back so the bees were use to it.  According to the homeowners bees were flying in and out of it for a few days. So I thought all was well.

The homeowner took off for there vacation just before I got back. I went to look at the hive and not a bee to be found in the hive. Completely abandon. They absconded.

The owner called me while I was there inspecting my now empty hive. She mentioned that ants came and infested the hive. I am not sure if the ants came first or just after the absconding.

But I was looking at the roof where the comb was. And there is traffic. The bees had moved up into the sophet. Bastards. darn resourceful little bastards. They annoy me but I gotta admit I respect them.

So I came back today. Just getting the sophet open was fun. And then it started raining and it was late. I had already done one other cutout today. I will come back to these guys.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2008, 10:48:55 pm »
They did all that comb building in just a couple of weeks? Were they being fed or just working off the natural resources?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2008, 11:02:14 pm »
Just working off natural resources.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2008, 11:39:59 pm »
Don't forget to use a queen includer this time, or at least cover the entrance with 1/4 inch mesh.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2008, 12:05:20 am »
Don't forget to use a queen includer this time, or at least cover the entrance with 1/4 inch mesh.

I am not not familar with a queen includer?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2008, 12:18:52 am »

Sincerely,
Brendhan

It's an excluder used to keep the queen in the hive, between the bottom board and the hive body.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2008, 12:32:02 am »
Brendhan, I have to tell you that seeing the pictures that you and others put on the forum with regards to the cutouts are nothing short of incredible.  I never realized how bees built their comb like they do when they are no inside a hive.  That may seem rather odd, but just didn't have a clue.  The pictures and wonderful and are such an excellent learning tool.  Thank you for taking us inside the lives of our honeybees.  They are far more interesting than I ever could have imagined. Keep on keepin' on.  And have a great day, Cindi

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2008, 12:37:33 am »

Sincerely,
Brendhan

It's an excluder used to keep the queen in the hive, between the bottom board and the hive body.

D'oh

Yes, I use them but only when I am certain I have the queen. Otherwise no. Because I don't want to keep the queen out of the hive boxes.

I have good luck finding the queen in swarm traps but not so much in cut outs. But I bring them with me anyway.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2008, 01:03:21 am »
Brendhan, I feel your pain, been there. I have pulled everything out before and had brood comb and the bees in a box before, but not the queen. On these ocassions when I hoped the queen would leave and enter the new hive, it never happens, and the bees abscond as well, to the same spot or one close to it, and its just a pain getting them out then, but stuff happens. Sometimes you don't have another queen available so leaving the hive there is an option, but generally speaking, when I don't get her, I transfer the hive that same day, and requeen or let them make a new one or do a combine. But that's me. Good luck getting the queen on the trip back.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2008, 11:53:12 pm »
Well after doing my survey at house in Port St. Lucie (The media smells blood, Bees in the News). I went down to complete this. I have never had a more depressing moment in a cut out.  I was removing the queen and had my expert queen spoter with me (my wife). And I not the expert spotted the queen. I tried to brush her into my hand. Do you remember how I said this was steep roof?

She fell out of my hand and slid down the roof.  :(

And now Janel, myself, and Doug(homeowner) are looking through the grass trying to spot the queen. After twenty minutes we gave up.

My heart sank. I just ruined this hive.  :(

I moved all the bees out of the soffit and into the hive body. Surrounded it with cinnamon. I will come back after I get back from Dallas, TX. I will combine it with one of my hives.

Sorry no pictures.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2008, 12:18:44 am »
That is such a drag Brendhan. I have had things like that happen as well. She may just go right back to your new hive. I removed a hive about 4 yrs ago that was in a wall. My nephew assisted me on this one. Found the queen late in the game, was trying to cage her and she flew off. I was totally elated when I caught her and when she flew off, I could have just jumped off a cliff! I knew there was a chance she would fly back so I tried not to freak too much. Now, that day was not a good one, it was hot! and I had major robbing issues from my best guess, two other hives in the area, it was late summer, so we had dearth issues to contend with. There were just thousands of bees all around us that day. I worked long and hard on this job and sweat 'til the cows came home. As we were about to give up, my nephew, who had very limited experience at the time, says hey, I think I see the queen by the front door, come take a look. Sure enough, there she was. I was lucky that day. I really hope you get her Brendhan, best of luck.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2008, 09:37:30 am »
Oh my Lord, I thought you meant your wife slid off the roof... My heart just sank, needless to say I was happy to keep reading and find out it was just the queen. Sorry to hear about the troubles, media included. I have to ask ( I am new to this remember), what is the cinamon about? I am looking forward to doing my first cutouts this year and have learned so much from you guys (thanks). Never heard of the cinamon thing though? Thanks
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2008, 09:43:12 am »
If I do a cut out and I intend to leave the hive at the location of the cut out. I will sprinkle cinnamon around the hive and the legs of the stand to keep ants off. There is usually quite a bit of honey from a cut out and the ants will invade forcing the bees to abscond. Cinnamon helps keep the ants at bay.  You need quite a bit of it. Just a small lite sprinkle won't cut it. Also try ot clean up as much of the honey as you can and locate it further away from the hive. The ants will go for easy access food first.  And by the time they are done with that the bees may have cleaned up.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2008, 12:10:44 am »
Oh my Lord, I thought you meant your wife slid off the roof... My heart just sank, needless to say I was happy to keep reading and find out it was just the queen.
F

Oh man!!!!  Now this must be the sick side of me showing up.   I am sorry, but that made me laugh, that squeeky little laugh so no one can really hear me, eeeks.....me bad.

Brendhan, bummer......JP, bummer....but an good end that must have made your day.

I hope that things go well with this colony.  It would surely be nice if the queen came back, the very next day.  Good luck with that one.  Wishing it well.  Have a great day in this life.  Cindi

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2008, 03:59:59 pm »
Its ok cindi, I laughed pretty hard as well once I got over the shock. I was just picturing my wife and I after convincing her everything would be ok, up on the roof doing a cut out and then Whoosh!! down she goes. I would never show my face again.... She does so much for me chickens, quail, bees etc. I was just going through the scene in my mind as I was reading.....
Lots of laughs here thats for sure,,, Hopefully with no one getting hurt!!
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

anything