Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lengthening daylight, what a chore!!!!  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Lengthening daylight, what a chore!!!!
« on: September 07, 2007, 01:41:16 am »
So, today my Sister and I decided to lengthen the daylight in our farm yard to get the chickens and ducks to lay a few extra eggs.  Of course, as the daylight hours decline, so do the eggs.  Hmmm....can we fool Mother Nature?

My Sister rigged up the timer, set it to come on at 7:00 PM.  Well, it is not quite even dusk by then.  But, my job in the evenings is to close up all the critters, to save them from the night folk.  She lets the critters out in the morning, early.

The Muscovey ducks are the last to want to go into the henhouse, think they don't like spending the night with these brown chickens.  So, Big Boy is the leader.  The master Muscovey.  He heads the pack.  He did not want to go in.  I coaxed him to go in, the girls followed (the chickens love to go to be early, so they were already in). Well.....I guess it was plain daylight inside their nightime home.  Right back out they came.  I was by myself.  Normally my husband helps me to get these birds into their safe place at night.  My husband was busy, I said I could do it myself.  Right.....anyways in and out, these birds could not make up their mind.  So...I decided to put the geese and the Indian Runner/Roens into bed, so they went, but, one silly Muscovey decided she would join these Indian runners and geese.  Nope.  She did not belong there.  I tried to catch her, was successful,  but, as I know for so surely, they have the most piercing tips on their toes.  Got me some good ones.  I did let her go.  By this time it was almost dark.  All the rest of the Muscoveys that really did not want to go into their night home by this time went in easily.  I was at peace.  I was bleeding, hurting, tail between my legs and went home to tend to my wounds.  Run cool water over my wrist and palm, my husband bathed these wounds in colloidal silver water, and bandaged me with honey.  The pain is gone, I know the healing is beginning, yes, colloidal silver water, and of course, my little jar of therapeutic honey.  I know honey has an anaestheic quality, no pain.

I look like I always do around here, bruises, thorns, scratches (right, and perhaps now and then a stinger from girls) but I am tougher than I have ever been in years, working hard, it shines through  :roll: :) and I am lovin' every minute of it.  The story of my life....yeah!!!! Gotta love this life I'm livin'.  Grateful for the husband that I have.   Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
Re: Lengthening daylight, what a chore!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 09:18:47 am »
Leave the light off till ya get them in the house and all shut up. Always worked for us. Used a shop light on an extension cord and a timer.

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 07:49:56 pm »
Cindi,

how about lengthening daylight in my backyard? I could use an extra hour or two.

kev
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:20:33 am »
Kev, ah, now come on  :-P  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life, great healthy wishes to all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 07:50:24 pm »
I just leave a light with a timer in the house as it starts getting darker ealier. When it gets dark outside, they go inside where they are exposed to the light. It hasn't been a problem before. The problem is stringing out the 200+' extension cord from the stable to the chicken coop. I really need to just run a circuit out there.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

anything