Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which uncapping kinife ?  (Read 4743 times)

Offline Krustybee

• New Bee
Which uncapping kinife ?
« on: March 08, 2011, 05:28:23 am »
I am looking for some advice on uncapping knifes. I am about to harvest my first lot of honey and need to purchase an uncapping knife and am not sure whether to purchase a steam knife or an electric 240 volt knife. So any advice on the 2 different knifes would be good.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Which uncapping kinife ?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:23:40 am »
Both have their benefits - steam can be used in the field where you may not have access to electricity and you can use a BBQ ring - electric is good because it doesnt generate additional heat that might heat up your uncapping/extracting room that a BBQ ring/electric element running might do. If i had to choose i'd probably go a steam knife but the benefits of the 240v probably outweigh the steam - either way go something that is heated! a cold knife dipped in hot water is a pain

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:11:02 pm »
As always, great video JP. I like that Maxant "plane".

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:04:08 am »
Hey JP,

Greetings from "Down Under"

great video HOWEVER it would have been nice to see what the frames look like after you've extracted them....

I've yet to do an extraction you see ;-) I do have a question regarding the capping scratcher - doesn't it ruin the honeycomb??? or do the bees just fix it???

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:36:44 pm »
Hey JP,

Greetings from "Down Under"

great video HOWEVER it would have been nice to see what the frames look like after you've extracted them....

I've yet to do an extraction you see ;-) I do have a question regarding the capping scratcher - doesn't it ruin the honeycomb??? or do the bees just fix it???

The cappings scratcher is for opening the capped cells up. It does not ruin honeycomb in the slightest. Will consider taking a picture or video next time I extract of extracted frames for you.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 05:30:49 pm »
So long as it's a scratch and not a gouge!

If you want to learn the amount of pressure to use then use it on your arm first - if it feel pleasant then it's enough pressure - if it leaves marks and hurts - too hard! you just want to lightly perforate the cappings otherwise you will tear the cell walls which will need repair by the bees