Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: holy crap!! i might be a genius :P  (Read 4359 times)

Offline sas_marine@hotmail.com

• House Bee
holy crap!! i might be a genius :P
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:05:44 am »
hey guys, just tried a random thought today in my forever war with the shb, hear me out,,,

i raised my hive lid buy approx 2 or 3 mm with the ends of 2 forks initially to reduce heat in the hive etc etc, it did allow a slight breeze into the hive, but what i found when i removed the forks out of the corner of my eye was approx 30 shb all sitting under that mini gap between the lid and the top of my super, so i quickly removed the forks and squashed them all, i then took the lid off again and counted 22 dead squashed shb inbetween the lid and the super, i left the gap for approx 6 hours in the heat of the middle of the day,, i then looked through every honey super and found 6 total shb adults!!!!

think about that one!!! shb like small gaps that bees cant protect, they are also attracted to light etc etc, i want someoone from qld to try this and tell me if it works for them, my exact steps were like this, i lifted (not removed) the lid slowly only a smigin approx 3mm (the width of the prongs of a standard fork) i left it for 6 hours in the hottest parts of the day and then came back and went squash, then i checked the frames out after the death of the shb, killed bout 80% of my problem with no use of a trap,, check it out :P

on another subject tho, i find permethrin worked really well for me especially against ants, but it only works until it rains, but before it rained i had a very small shb, toad and ant problem, so i think i might lay some more tomoz :P

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Re: holy crap!! i might be a genius :P
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:40:31 am »
Thats no bloody good! Watcha been doing up there? where did they come from?

I got my annual American Foul Brood test back the other day, negative again!

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:35:21 am »
Likewise Mick. At least it is some good news in the mail.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 07:53:53 am »
They used to do an annual AFB test up here but not any more. The latest I heard from the DPI is that itis endemic here and it is not worth doing as it is in all hives only that in some it takes hold

Mick

anything