Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic acid vapor mite drop compare  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
Oxalic acid vapor mite drop compare
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:42:11 am »
I did my first oxalic acid vapor treatment and counted 112 mites 24 hours after. I have one deep of bees. Is that Good , Bad or Ugly?
Cheers,
Patrick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Oxalic acid vapor mite drop compare
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:22:57 am »
>I did my first oxalic acid vapor treatment and counted 112 mites 24 hours after.

Assuming a proper dosage of oxalic, that probably means you didn't have very many mites.  They will continue to drop at a higher rate than untreated for a few more days and then drop off to almost nothing.  You probably had less than 200 mites in the whole hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:16:15 pm »
Thanks Michael,
But that is not to say it is still not a problem, right? (the numbers you estimate are lower that what I would have guessed) I have been seeing wingless crawlers for about 3 weeks now (about 3 per day) so after a few powdered sugar dustings, I thought I would try the vapor, and drive the final steak through the vampires heart.

Cheers,

Patrick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:33:17 pm »
>But that is not to say it is still not a problem, right?

Those numbers are very low.  But that is assuming the right dosage of Oxalic and not too much ventilation during the treatment.

>I have been seeing wingless crawlers for about 3 weeks now (about 3 per day) so after a few powdered sugar dustings, I thought I would try the vapor, and drive the final steak through the vampires heart.

Sounds like you already knocked the numbers down with the sugar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything