Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using Drone Frames Correctly  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
Using Drone Frames Correctly
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:01:59 am »
Hello everyone,
New beek here as of last summer ... 4 hives in total ... located in Ontario, between Ottawa and Kingston ... had a great first summer, the girls expanded their hives nicely ... decided not to take any honey.  Did a mite count in the fall and literally had none.  Went into the winter with 3 very stronge hives and one weaker one.  All 4 hives survived the winter and have been given pollen patties and syrup ... still have that one weaker hive however.  Last summer I did use drone frames as a preventive measure, I have two of those frames.  All our hives are double brood chambers ... my question is the placement of these drone frames.  Should I be placing one in each brood chamber and in what positions ... or should I be placing one in each and in what position.  The girls utilized them last year and I would remove them regularly at 20/21 days, never did see any mites in any of the cells.  Any advice would be much welcomed.
Thanks     

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Using Drone Frames Correctly
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »
In the brood box, on the outside side.   Number one or ten. 

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:12:50 pm »
If you are not seeing mites in the drone brood when you remove the drone frame, your bees have the right genetics and I would stop adding drone boards in those hives. The bees can detect the mites in the cells and remove them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:14:10 pm »
Thanks guys,
I'm just waiting to do a mite count once I get to do my full inspection and will install my new screened bottom boards and likely reverse my brood chambers .... then slip a sticky board in for the count.  I'm really hoping that my count is low then ... its all new to me but what a blast doing this!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:26:45 am »
Do your mite check before fall. If it is high in September, you likely are too late to help much.You need the population brought under control before they start raisng the bees that will overwinter.
The first year on a packsge install generally has a lower mite count than an established hive. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security.Year two and three can be detrimental to a hive if mite populations are ignored.
Drone comb reemoval should help, but still monitor it closely.

anything