Welcome, Guest

Poll

Which way do you prefer a joke to be told?

original cast
9 (32.1%)
real people substituted
5 (17.9%)
doesn't matter
14 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Jokes  (Read 13467 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Jokes
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 03:01:33 am »
FINAL THOUGHT ABOUT PERSONAL NAMES IN JOKES:

I don't see the harm in replacing charactor names with know friends names in jokes to kid each other, the only draw back is that MANY of us who don't know you guys that well yet can be left in the dust and I can see how some people may see it as one member slamming another.

Any joke which needs a disclaimer or an explanation generally has a small audience, I like to think and hope that all jokes here are funny to everyone, not just a select few.

May I suggest the original post in HUMOR forum and PMing the doctored version to your friends it was aimed at. That way, everyone gets the joke, not just the 3 or 4 people involved.

Just trying to make everyone happy here, I'm still confused about the POLL by IDDEE though, he states in the poll:

I quit reading the jokes on another forum when they all were posted using members names as the characters in the jokes. I see that it has now spilled into this forum. Am I the exception, or do others dislike this procedure?

Followed by post 7 by Iddee:

I am not offended, nor do I think it is meant to be harmful. I just think it takes away from the original joke and distracts me from the joke's real meaning. I know most of the posters and the names used. All are great guys, just poking fun at each other. I just think the joke means more if my little one track mind only has to follow one subject.    :roll:

Of course, as I said in the OP, it may just be my senile, old, grumpy ways. That's why I wanted more opinions.

There just seems to be a discrepency there. Both statements to me contradict each other a bit, so I wonder WHY the poll?

I hope we can all enjoy the joke WITHOUT years of background on WHY one member play this part in a joke and another member plays another. I hope (just for the rest of the members) you guys can keep an original version here in Humor and share any modified versions in private - it will surely cut out any confusion and feedback - thanks.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 03:49:14 am »

Yes, I can feel the love!  :camp:

...JP
[/quote]

I'm not feeling the love, unless it's a wet blanket feeling.   :whip:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 08:08:10 am »
If one has never seen the joke before then one would not know the original name that belongs in the joke.

And think of all those jokes that get redirected because of who and where you are. For instance, around here we have Aggie jokes. That could be changed to redneck, hillbilly, Pollock, etc, etc.

Or the state jokes.... just depends on what state you're from.

The chocolates move because of the hidden roaches.... But really I don't see them moving.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 09:33:23 am »
>>>>Just trying to make everyone happy here, I'm still confused about the POLL by IDDEE though, he states in the poll:

Quote from: iddee on February 12, 2009, 02:03:17 PM
I quit reading the jokes on another forum when they all were posted using members names as the characters in the jokes. I see that it has now spilled into this forum. Am I the exception, or do others dislike this procedure?

Followed by post 7 by Iddee:

Quote from: iddee on February 12, 2009, 03:49:46 PM
I am not offended, nor do I think it is meant to be harmful. I just think it takes away from the original joke and distracts me from the joke's real meaning. I know most of the posters and the names used. All are great guys, just poking fun at each other. I just think the joke means more if my little one track mind only has to follow one subject. 

Of course, as I said in the OP, it may just be my senile, old, grumpy ways. That's why I wanted more opinions.

There just seems to be a discrepency there. Both statements to me contradict each other a bit, so I wonder WHY the poll? <<<<

Because my compliant is in the mode of writing, not the contents or intentions.

Is is lite reeding postes with many wirds mispeled.

You have to think about what each word was meant to be, then go back and read the post for it's meaning. With the jokes, I am concentrating on the people, rather than the story, and it just makes it harder to read.

Maybe it's just my dumbness.

I know the guys and know it is all in fun, but it distracts from the readability of the joke. I was not trying to say it was derogatory toward the other person. I know it wasn't.

Brian, I have known BB on different forums for a long time. I have never seen him post an "offensive" post about anyone other than an idiot killing bees for the fun of it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 10:33:10 am »
I think we made fun of that idiot here also  :-D
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 11:07:43 am »

Your honor I plead guilty of this horrible act on the other forum.  :) However I can shed some light on this one. The picking on each other substituting names of other members came about when one of the mods on the other forum didnt want us picking on blondes and wanted us to raise the caliber of our jokes. To my knowlege no one was ever offended except for a few turtle lovers that didnt like Bullseye Bill's pet racing turtle thrown across the bar to out run the dog. :-D Everyone used in the jokes was and still are friends. I dont specifically know of anyone using names of someone on the board that they was unfamiliar with in any joke.  I have refrained from posting any jokes here on beemaster until I get familiar with the members and they get familiar with myself. Then look out let the redneck humor fly.   :evil: Anyhow Iddee Speaking one redneck to another Glad to see ya here and if I ever offend you drop me a PM letting me know I ovestepped my bounds. WE can always agree to disagree and still walk away friends ;)
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 11:47:49 am »
Iddee already knows this as I have posted it over there at BeeLiberal, but for those that don't know it, there is no beekeeper that I respect more than Iddee.  :rainbowflower: That's no joke. (Your up there too Bjorn)  Honestly Iddee, if substituting "A lady' with 'OKiequeenbee' made you loose the humor in the parrot joke you might need to adjust your diet.  My gut feeling is you are suffering from a bee venom withdrawal.  :bee:

And for Rat, my little redneck buddy, That was YOUR turtle joke! not mine!  I bet she still thinks I'm a turtle pitcher.  :) Long live PETA!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 11:57:50 am »
Feeling's mutual, BB, and you may just be 100% right. That's why I asked it in the first place. I wanted to know if it was just me.

It's not the only problem old age has brought on.   :roll:

Hearing and sight were the second and third things to go bad.  :'(
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 12:05:27 pm »
I have refrained from posting any jokes here on beemaster until I get familiar with the members and they get familiar with myself.

I for one am not going to get familiar with you.  :shock: I'm just not that kind of guy. And besides JP would get jealous.

Offline okiequeenbee

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 12:08:00 pm »
I just want you all to know that I love all of you   :-*  and I find it kinda flattering to be included in your joke telling circle.  And if I was ever to find one of your jokes offensive, you would know (red headed thing).   :whip:
Iddee, I like the changing of names in the jokes, it makes it a new joke to me, lets my imagination run wild.   :-D
Anyway, I hope no one gets offended cause I really need my daily fix of  :lau: :lau: :lau:
Today, I see Life as my eyes have never seen it before - and, OH, how they shine.

Offline Derek

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 12:12:44 pm »
On that Turtle joke. I loved your disclaimer rat.

Dont worry no turtles was actually abused in the making of this joke. Bills pet turtle is just fine. He lost a little duct tape. Once that is replaced he will be ready to go again

Classic Rat..Classic   :lau:

Offline Derek

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 12:16:03 pm »
I just want you all to know that I love all of you   :-*  and I find it kinda flattering to be included in your joke telling circle.  And if I was ever to find one of your jokes offensive, you would know (red headed thing).   :whip:
Iddee, I like the changing of names in the jokes, it makes it a new joke to me, lets my imagination run wild.   :-D
Anyway, I hope no one gets offended cause I really need my daily fix of  :lau: :lau: :lau:

Ahhhhh........... :'(

If I can make it to the Buzz maybe Bill will bring his guitar, and we can set around a jug of mead singing kumbaya.  :-D

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 12:20:36 pm »
Now where is that group hug smiley when you need one?

You better show up Derek, that 'jug' is actually a carboy.   :cheer:

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »
You better show up Derek, that 'jug' is actually a carboy

Ever try that with a carboy?  By the time its half gone that thing is REALLY hard to handle.... :shock:

Oh...were you only talking about a 1 gallon carboy?
Rick

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »
hey if were talking mead by the carboy you can just substitute with frozen anytime you want to  :-D
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 11:11:54 pm »
I stand by my original comments.  I find the substituting of names disrespectful and rude.  I don't treat my friends that way.  I don't even like Pat and Mike jokes because of the names.  Titles like Rabbi, Priest, Lawyer, Farmer, Farmer's Daughter, etc, are impersonal and still gets the gist of the joke across.  But when names are used it becomes personal and that makes it unacceptable.

I personally believe we can enjoy the jokes more by leaving them impersonal and avoid the risk of offending somebody.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 05:42:21 pm »
I actually found them to be even funnier because they were personalized. We usually poke fun at those we feel warm towards.
...JP

JP, you talkin' 'bout me?    :-X :) :) :) Have that great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 05:47:41 pm »
Jerry:

That box of chocolates is freaking me out - I stare at it and it seems to move - no kidding. Anyone else see that illusion, move your eyes around slightly, see if you see the box and other stuff shifting slightly around.
Hey, me too.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson