Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Intro from Texas  (Read 2500 times)

Offline drake

• New Bee
Intro from Texas
« on: September 28, 2008, 11:46:05 pm »
Hello, my friends and family call me Drake. I have been looking on the net for awhile, gathering information about beekeeping. At one point I had all my woodware to start beekeeping this coming spring ready.  That is until Hurricane Ike decided to strike my area. I had to evac, and no where to put my woodware at during the evac. Needless to say, but 120+ mph peek winds + 9 foot storm surge  destroyed everything that was left outside. My house held up to the wind and rain and experience no water inside my house. It took about a week to get power back on and things are finally starting to normalize as the city performs their cleanup.

So I begin my search for what gear to get again while trying to make my ends meet over here, while doing that I found many good sites for reading and referencing once I get my bees this spring. I have tried contacting a few local beekeepers and organizations, but I have not received any contact back from.. maybe cuase of Ike.. who knows.

What I am looking at doing is going with a all medium size bodies and frames (Illinois setup) and have enough equipment for at least 2 hives and possible enough for a 3rd to be used a spare and backup parts. I just can't decide for sure what kind of foundations I want to go with. And the only problem I see with going all mediums is the capability of purchasing Nucs to get me started.

I probably go on for a bit, but figured I should stop and let your eyes rest a bit.

drake

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
Re: Intro from Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:37:01 am »
Hi Drake and welcome to the forum this is a great place to gain information and make friends.
Sorry to here about your lose of equipment.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 04:38:26 am »
Welcome Drake! It may be difficult to find medium nucs for your area but look around a bit. Sorry for your losses with Ike, we deal with hurricanes yrly so I understand, good luck getting things back to normal, Ike was a bad one.

I think you're right though about people not responding yet cause of Ike. Good luck yo you!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:56:01 pm »
welcome to the group drake 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:30:39 pm »
i am in your town with red cross.  been working in san leon.  staying in league city at a church.  i think it would be nice here if it were not so trashed.  kind of sad.  great folks here!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline drake

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 02:50:55 am »
we appreciate your help around the area, so many fallen trees and destroyed homes...  Main street (fm 518) used to have a ton of old oak trees hanging over the road, in the old town section... it'll be awhile before that comes back. Its going to be an interesting spring, to say the least.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 10:58:43 am »
Drake, welcome to our forum.  Sorry to hear about your losses from the storm, at least your house is all good, that is a wonderful thing.  It is good that you have not given up your quest to keep bees.  Stick around, we love new members and this can be a place where you can spend some wonderful time, get help, and make some new friends, welcome.  Have that most wonderfully awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service